Could I raise Arapaima in my pond?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Thanks again!
Ohkay so I should've clarified that the flatheads eating all the other fish was fine, because the flats got to be "big." And when we moved here, I started feeding them and the bass/bluegill/crappie started flourishing again.
That's why I was initially thinking I would restock the flatheads. But then I started doing some research and thought it would be super cool if I could raise a Nessie (the big 5ft flathead) replacement, and the arapaima was my first thought. I looked at some others, and maybe a Beluga or white sturgeon would be much better? Or is it not cold enough you think? I don't have enough money to go with all those fish, and I'm a bit scared as they might eat other/the bass in the pond already might. I'm deffinitely going to get some logs and try to make a small pond for frogs! ^_^ A beluga would be more than a "worthy" Nessie replacement as it grows, I'm sure. But Idk... I may just be dreaming =P
A good Nessie would be just one of each of the following plus a bunch of smaller fish:
1 flathead catfish (or blue)
And 1 alligator gar.

Keeping just one of a species helps the fish get bigger because they don't spend energy competing for resources or breeding.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Thanks again!
Ohkay so I should've clarified that the flatheads eating all the other fish was fine, because the flats got to be "big." And when we moved here, I started feeding them and the bass/bluegill/crappie started flourishing again.
That's why I was initially thinking I would restock the flatheads. But then I started doing some research and thought it would be super cool if I could raise a Nessie (the big 5ft flathead) replacement, and the arapaima was my first thought. I looked at some others, and maybe a Beluga or white sturgeon would be much better? Or is it not cold enough you think? I don't have enough money to go with all those fish, and I'm a bit scared as they might eat other/the bass in the pond already might. I'm deffinitely going to get some logs and try to make a small pond for frogs! ^_^ A beluga would be more than a "worthy" Nessie replacement as it grows, I'm sure. But Idk... I may just be dreaming =P
A good Nessie would be just one of each of the following plus a bunch of smaller fish:
1 flathead catfish (or blue)
And 1 alligator gar.

Keeping just one of a species helps the fish get bigger because they don't spend energy competing for resources or breeding.

Reactions: vipercaleb1

vipercaleb1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2018
So after I get the aeration system installed and running for about a week or so, I can get a gator+flathead+sturgeon and some other smaller fish like you were reccomending earlier and just put them in? And then feed them using high-protein pellets or chicken pieces or something?

Also just to clarify, the gator won't attack the swimmers, right? (they look scary and I heard stories of attacks, but I think the attacks were due to people swimming in spawn/nesting areas, which wouldn't be a problem here since having only one)

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
The gars will not attack you unless your silvery or fishy lol. Sturgeon is a great choice IMO. I love the freakin fish lol

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
So after I get the aeration system installed and running for about a week or so, I can get a gator+flathead+sturgeon and some other smaller fish like you were reccomending earlier and just put them in? And then feed them using high-protein pellets or chicken pieces or something?

Also just to clarify, the gator won't attack the swimmers, right? (they look scary and I heard stories of attacks, but I think the attacks were due to people swimming in spawn/nesting areas, which wouldn't be a problem here since having only one)
They really don't attack people, and you should hand feed them while swimming

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Just keep In Mind that sturgeon can't digest most pellets, they can't digest plant matter which means they should be fed a mixed diet of fish, shrimp,crayfish, earthworms etc

vipercaleb1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2018
Oh hand feed the gars? That sounds so cool! ^_^
What kind of Gar and what kind of Sturgeon should I get? And do you think 2 of each is good? (I know you guys recommended to have only one of them so that those would grow big)

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store