Cracked tank help

Chyron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2019
So I found this 125 with a cracked side pane, threw it in my truck and took it home hoping I could fix it. Now after an hour of reading about fixing cracked tanks I dont know which way is best to go about doing it. The crack goes through and has a large chip missing. Replace the pane or sandwich it? I plan to paint the sides and back black if I can fix it, so I dont really care if it looks nice.

It doesn't have any top braces either, all of my other 6ft tanks have 2. Do I need to add some or arent those as necessary as I always thought.

20190922_202750.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I found this 125 with a cracked side pane, threw it in my truck and took it home hoping I could fix it. Now after an hour of reading about fixing cracked tanks I dont know which way is best to go about doing it. The crack goes through and has a large chip missing. Replace the pane or sandwich it? I plan to paint the sides and back black if I can fix it, so I dont really care if it looks nice.

It doesn't have any top braces either, all of my other 6ft tanks have 2. Do I need to add some or arent those as necessary as I always thought.

View attachment 1389137
I personally would replace that panel too many cracks. Also would find out if it was built with a top brace if so add one.

Chyron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2019
I was afraid of that, oh well, still cheaper than a new 125 would cost me!

Doesnt look like it ever had a top brace though.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Looks like thick glass on that--5/8" maybe? With that thick of glass on the long sides and if you replace that end panel with at least 1/2" id say you wont need a brace.

Chyron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2019
1/2" glass. The plastic on top isn't even one piece all the way around, I've never seen a tank built this way.

Would acrylic work to replace the end pane? It's cheaper and easier to come by. Or must they be glass to glass?

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
1/2" glass. The plastic on top isn't even one piece all the way around, I've never seen a tank built this way.

Would acrylic work to replace the end pane? It's cheaper and easier to come by. Or must they be glass to glass?
Glass to glass. Acrylic will not bond with the silicone. Usually the top plastic pieces are 4 pieces cut at 45degree angle and glued together.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Biggest problem youre gonna have is doing a neat job of setting that end panel in between the two long panels and getting all your seals tight in there. I suppose it can be done though.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
If you do replace the glass make sure you get the same exact thickness. If not you top and bottom braces won’t fit back on the tank.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
My first 3 aquariums where cracked one that Ms. Poly in 7th grade science class gave me for free. Two were metal framed one was conventional. That was... uhhh 40 years ago. I repaired all of them without the assistance of the internet to guide me and all of them held water for years!

Carefully cut the seals on the cracked end panel with a sharp utility knife and do your best to remove it without breaking it. Take it to a glass place and ask for an identical piece to replace it. Clean the snot out of the adjoining panes and get all the silicon residue off. Then seal the new pane in with the high strength silicone someone on this board will tell you is the best to use. If a 12 year old can do it you can do it! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store