Cracked tank help

Chyron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2019
I know how your goal is to save the tank...but have you considered taking it apart and using the long panels for a plywood build?
I hadn't considered that, but I may give it some thought. I've never really looked into building an aquarium myself before, but I can rebuild an engine, so gluing some glass together shouldn't be that hard! (Famous last words?) Lol

My first 3 aquariums where cracked one that Ms. Poly in 7th grade science class gave me for free. Two were metal framed one was conventional. That was... uhhh 40 years ago. I repaired all of them without the assistance of the internet to guide me and all of them held water for years!

Carefully cut the seals on the cracked end panel with a sharp utility knife and do your best to remove it without breaking it. Take it to a glass place and ask for an identical piece to replace it. Clean the snot out of the adjoining panes and get all the silicon residue off. Then seal the new pane in with the high strength silicone someone on this board will tell you is the best to use. If a 12 year old can do it you can do it! :)
No doubt I can do it. I would've been better off without the internet to be honest. My instinct was to replace the pane, which seemed like a simple straightforward job in my mind...and then I started reading about just patching it and started to question my own judgement. Thought I'd ask the experts here first. 20 years in the hobby and this is the first cracked tank I've ever had.

Chyron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2019
Plywood is also an option for replacement. Good enough for a bottom panel, then its also good enough for a short end.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but with this option, you wouldnt even have to remove the damage pane? Just silicone a perfectly sized piece of the 1/2" plywood I have laying around over the side pane, seal it with a pond shield paint in black like I plan to and have a serviceable tank for a couple bucks and nearly no effort?

cresnyk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2011
CLAYTON, NC
Correct me if I'm wrong, but with this option, you wouldnt even have to remove the damage pane? Just silicone a perfectly sized piece of the 1/2" plywood I have laying around over the side pane, seal it with a pond shield paint in black like I plan to and have a serviceable tank for a couple bucks and nearly no effort?
Ugly option. But practical!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store