Craigslist deal of the year or my new nightmare?

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
When you go in to talk with the LFS further about buying the tank, or to get your $50 back, whichever you decide....ask about the leak again. Then ask them how they'd go about fixing the leak. Then ask them for more detail about the stripping the seals, or whatever it is that needs to be done (I have no clue). But having them say all this and talk about it for 2-3 minutes is going to make it IMPOSSIBLE for them to look you in the eye and say "$500 firm". After having spent 3 minutes saying what all is involved in fixing seals on a tank, how much time it will take to do just one seal (ask them that), how long it will take to dry, how it may require a re-seal, etc., they will take $400.....or $300. Get them to tell you themselves that there's work on your part, and THEN hit em with your counter-offer....
Good advice. NYC Jew approves. (That's me, in case anybody here is insulted.)

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
They will def take less than $500 for it. That tank is huge - you know they want it off their showroom & it needs a lot of work. I bet they don't even blink at $400.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
ROTFL.."NYC Jew approves". That made my day! I'm a gentile, but I learned this kinda stuff from a NOLA Jew. My office was next door to his for 3 years, and we got to be good friends. He would tell me about his family's numerous business dealings all the time. For about a year, I couldn't comprehend why they did what they did, how they did it. After the second year, He had completely altered my entire view of business and commerce. We talked about business all the time. He was always interested in these counter-intuitive twists of behavior that only made sense if considered from a business perspective. I would not be where I am today without those years of tutelage. Thank you for reminding me of my old friend. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dragonsong

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
PA
That is going to look phenomenal after it's filled with water and aquascaped.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Good for you,now how much did you wind up paying for the tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store