Crayfish room temp

alexa257

Feeder Fish
Jan 19, 2017
Hi everyone.. I have been taking care of several crayfish now (blue and red) but I'm still confused about the room temp where I'm placing the aquarium. I did some research and I always see that the ideal water temp is 70-75 F. However, some articles suggests that I keep them in a warm environment as they won't survive an air conditioned room. As of the moment, I keep them in the living room during the day, when the AC is turned of, and transfer them to the kitchen when the AC is on.. any suggestions regarding the room temp?

crayfish.jpg

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Imsobored152

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Palm Bay, Fl
not crayfish related, but my AC is on 24/7 at 73 degrees, my tank doesnt budge from around 76 degrees. Im not sure how much my pump is heating it though.

Also I assume the water volume plays a large part on temp flucuation

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Depends upon the type of crayfish. Crayfish from temperate zones can take cooler temperatures, while crayfish from tropical zones require warmer temperatures. In general, most crayfish will do fine at room temperature. Unless your AC is dropping the temperature way below 70, I wouldn't worry about the temperature.

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
Always kept a heater on my electric blue cray tanks think I kept em 74 or 76... been a few years tho

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I pay more attention to minerals and diet with any of my crayfish,but around 70 degrees or warmer is good for most crays

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
I've kept Dwarf Mexican Crays in both room temp and tropical temperatures. It was a non issue however there was more activity in them at 76 degrees and were spawning often so as far as that species goes I think that is their optimal temperature.

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store