Crocodilian ID (dead)

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
man that sucks she could have made a FORTUNE off of authentic shrunken heads!

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Nile Crocodile!

It came down to the number of scales across the back (if I read the key correctly).

Thanks again for the link. That key was meant for identifying exactly what I have - I don't think there is a better resource out there.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
man that sucks she could have made a FORTUNE off of authentic shrunken heads!
Yeas, that's for sure. Apparently they go for thousands of dollars...

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Real human skulls are also quite rare.

Gj on the ID. I coulda sworn mugger but i didnt count scales. Gj

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
Hey do you guys have me blocked or something? I still don't see how it's a croc. Look at the teeth count, and the pre frontal bone in front of the orbitals. I didn't check out the link and I'm using a little laptop so maybe I don't see what you guys see. Of course it is mummified which will distort things like the soft tissue around the eyes and nose. :popcorn:

Camian.jpg

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
I dont have ya blocked :p
I did think at first maybe a black caiman but tthe more I looked morre it screamed mugger.

I wish I had the space for a mugger

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Hey do you guys have me blocked or something? I still don't see how it's a croc. Look at the teeth count, and the pre frontal bone in front of the orbitals. I didn't check out the link and I'm using a little laptop so maybe I don't see what you guys see. Of course it is mummified which will distort things like the soft tissue around the eyes and nose. :popcorn:
Sorry, not at all. I think I jumped to conclusions and you are correct - I should have known... :confused:

The lack of eyelid tubercle immediately threw me off, and these statements. "Fourth tooth of the lower jaw hidden" (Caiman) versus "Fourth tooth of the lower jaw hidden in internal socket of upper jaw when mouth is closed" (Croc). There were a couple other thing that said croc (Flank scales, snout profile).

However, the clincher were the post occipital scales. C. niloticus has one row, C. crocodylus has 2-4 rows. My mummy has three.

Thanks for your patience, Seth! Assuming the tubercles haven't just worn away, what is the next most likely caiman?

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Hmm. Possibly yacare.
Can anyone get an accurate count of the teeth?

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Hmm. Possibly yacare.
Can anyone get an accurate count of the teeth?
That might be tricky - it is very stiff so there is no opening the jaw.

I'm going back to the CITES guide. It is a bit tricky to read, it would help if everything wasn't in three languages...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store