Cuban cichlid maturity/breeding

Fruju

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
New Zealand
Hi MFK,

I have a 20cm (8 inches for the Americans) female Cuban who I intend to try and breed. I also have 4 smaller Cubans that are approx 5-6 months old (I think), the largest of which is 10cm and I am positive is male. How long/what size should I grow him to before I attempt to try mixing him with my larger female? When do Cuban cichlids reach maturity?

Also, for those who have bred them before what was the pH of the water? My female is in pH 6 - 6.5 I think, and has laid eggs in these conditions before. Could I keep it as status quo and still have success?

Another question, do the pairs form strong bonds? If I have a larger female will she be liable to murder the smaller male?

Cheers

img_20161227_101156__o7P9I.jpg

IMG_20170508_174245_2.jpg

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
My female tetracanthus first started spawning at less than 4", male at @6", and spawned a few times after, until I gave the pair away.
If they deem themselves to be a compatible pair thru pre-spawning rituals, then worry of her killing the male may not be warranted. It will be the pre-spawn and post (if she is at all edgy) where a smaller male could be offed.

Reactions: Fruju

Fruju

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
New Zealand
Ok so I could pretty much put another few cm on my younger male and he would be about the right size/age to breed.
Is it better to have them separated with a transparent barrier when introducing them, or is it ok to add them together from the get go?

Definitely trying to avoid mortality here partly because only a handful of people in the entire country keep these guys.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
This is how I would do it.
I'd section a long tank off into 3 compartments with egg crate.
Put the female in the middle with a male divided from her, on each end.
You should be able to tell if she bonds with one or the other male, or neither.
If one is totally rejected, switch it out with another male until her choice is obviously made.
And not only a clear barrier, because cichlids do not communicate by vision alone, they use scent (pheromones) , and sometimes even sound.
Because my pair bonded naturally out of a group, their bond lasted a long time, thru a number of spawns.

Reactions: Fruju and BIG-G
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store