Custom Ceramics in Aquarium

Narwhal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2017
A few years ago I made some ceramic rocks for my cichlids out of a terra cotta clay (what they make pots out of) They have done well with my fish, the semi-porous surface allows for more bacteria to colonize it. I recently took a ceramics class and made some stoneware cichlid stones. They are high fire. However, I found out the make up them
Kaolin (clay) 25-65%
Crystaline Silica - quartz 10-25%
Silicon dioxide <5%
Feldspar <2%
Brown Iron Oxide <2%
Titanium Dioxide <2%
Kyanite <2%
Pyrite <2%
The Pyrite is what concerns me, as it breaks down into sulfuric acid, it will lower the pH and free up the hard metals in the water.
I have had them soaking for a few weeks now, but the pH is yet to drop.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I'd be interested to know as well as I've seen some tanks, of very esteemed keepers, whom have painted and glazed pots in their aquariums to no ill effect.

Narwhal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2017
both types are unglazed
my guess is it should be fine, most forum posts I have seen is that a small amount of pyrite should have little effect, but I will let them sit in regular water for a few more weeks.

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
I'd like to think the type of glaze would be the determining factor? When I took ceramics in school, there were certain glazes that were "food safe" and capable of being used on dishes, pots, my beer mug:rolleyes:, etc... those would probably be more safe for aquarium décor, no?

Narwhal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2017
pretty much all ceramic still has an unglazed portion, they would stick to the shelf if glazed all the way. I have a very old ceramic tiki house that appears to have been made for candles, the part that touches the gravel is unglazed (that has been in tanks for 10 years)

Narwhal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2017
Terra cotta has been used in tanks for a while, people use pots to breed fish, and some terra cotta is even made into fish caves (should be good without glaze, or a food safe glaze)
my cichlids stones on the other hand are made from a different clay called Rod's Bod from Laguna clay (http://www.lagunaclay.com/clays/western/wc823.php) they do not have glaze as I like the sandy texture and rocky look, that would be less natural looking if covered by a glaze (which is smooth glass) My main question is how long for the small amount of pyrite to become HCl, so I can simply wash them and they will be inert? also has anybody heard about any of the other minerals in the clay from the first post as being toxic?
As I said they are probably safe as the minerals in the clay each make up less than 2% of the object.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store