Cycled in 1 day?!

Sarah J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
ok, this may not be possible but I’ll give you some info. This is long btw

I setup my new 125 g Monday night. Used safe start and let it run overnight.
In the morning I saw one of my fish stressed from bullying in my established tank so I made a decision. Fish in cycling it would be for my 125g. Of course this would happen after I ordered a ton of dr Tim’s ammonia lol.

I poured the recommended huge amount of Marineland Aquarium Bacteria into my 125g (which says to add fish at same time) and added my 1.5 inch fish with a medium pleco.

Came home from work and checked parameters. Had 0.02 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates. Added some fish food for the BB since I’m sure that wasn’t enough bioload to make a difference.

This morning, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5ppm nitrates.
I received 2 small fish, and 2 regular (2 in) fish in the mail today. I added them as well this morning after taking some filter media from my established tank and letting it hang in the water for a little and with a dose of stability to help and introduce more bacteria just in case some of the other died since there may not have been enough ammonia
Readings are still the same. I know the volume of water can dilute all these numbers since such a small bioload. If it has cycled, great? If it hasn’t, I want to make sure it still can. I’ll be adding 2 more regular size fish and a pleco next week to try to spike more.
I do have the ammonia. Can I add it while the fish are in there to help?
The water is reading soft
Alkalinity is in ideal zone
Ph 7.8

timtk

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2017
I wouldn't add any fish that are sensitive. Keep an eye on nitrites and watch for the spike. If you never see one (or don't see one after a month), then your tank cycled from the introduction of filter media.

What kind of fish have you added and how large are they? If you cycle your tank with very small fish, you may not be able to measure it on a test kit. If you later add a larger bioload (say three Oscars and a large common pleco) you'll probably have an ammonia and nitrite spike. This is why a lot of people either fishless cycle by adding a large amount of ammonia, or add filter media and jump start with a large bioload to start (otherwise the BB will die, presumably)

PS I would recommend putting filter media in there from another tank permanently, not just introducing some for a bit and removing it.

Sarah J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
I wouldn't add any fish that are sensitive. Keep an eye on nitrites and watch for the spike. If you never see one (or don't see one after a month), then your tank cycled from the introduction of filter media.

What kind of fish have you added and how large are they? If you cycle your tank with very small fish, you may not be able to measure it on a test kit. If you later add a larger bioload (say three Oscars and a large common pleco) you'll probably have an ammonia and nitrite spike. This is why a lot of people either fishless cycle by adding a large amount of ammonia, or add filter media and jump start with a large bioload to start (otherwise the BB will die, presumably)

PS I would recommend putting filter media in there from another tank permanently, not just introducing some for a bit and removing it.
yes they are fairly small. the plecos is a good medium/large size and then 3-2inch fish, and 2-1inch fish. ill be adding another medium pleco around Monday/tuesday with 2 more 2 inch fish. I had all intention of fishless cycling :(. but yes I will be testing everyday as well as feeding for more ammonia uptake. that will be my full stock once I add those on Monday/tuesday anyways. they'll just be growing over time and hopefully BB will be growing with it.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I saw one of my fish stressed from bullying in my established tank
That you have an established tank some where means you should have colonies of the beneficial bacteria (bb) in that tank. The bb will be on the surfaces of the tank. Move some of that to the new setup and as suggested leave it in the new setup for several weeks.

It can take a while for the introduced bb colonies to adjust their population numbers to the bio load of the fish in the new tank. Adding a number of fish, as you have, so soon may give a short term ammonia spike. Much will depend on the amount of bb loaded material you robbed from the established tank.

Adictd2Fsh

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
Hello; Yes a new tank can be cycled in one day with bb loaded material from an established tank.
I agree this is the best way to cycle new tank, I have done it several times. Take as much water as can from a cycled tank and use a good cycled filter with good cycled media.

appak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2014
toronto
If you've used bottled bacteria, yes, it is possible. The colonies that are present may not be able to support a large bioload, though, so introduce new fish slowly.

I agree this is the best way to cycle new tank, I have done it several times. Take as much water as can from a cycled tank and use a good cycled filter with good cycled media.
From what I understand, the water itself holds minimal bacterial colonies. The majority are located on solid surfaces (glass, substrate, decorations/ornaments, filter media, etc). Moving over a ton of water will give you "stable" parameters, especially if you are moving fish from the source of the water into the new aquarium, however, don't expect this to enable heavy immediate stocking.

Adictd2Fsh

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
If you've used bottled bacteria, yes, it is possible. The colonies that are present may not be able to support a large bioload, though, so introduce new fish slowly.
Yes you must use some bacteria additive. I use API stress zyme or API quick start.
The main thing involved here is the cycled filter filter with cycled media. Filter must be adequate for tank tho. Cycling in one day is definitely possible.

Adictd2Fsh

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018

From what I understand, the water itself holds minimal bacterial colonies. The majority are located on solid surfaces (glass, substrate, decorations/ornaments, filter media, etc). Moving over a ton of water will give you "stable" parameters, especially if you are moving fish from the source of the water into the new aquarium, however, don't expect this to enable heavy immediate stocking.
Yes you must use some bacteria additive. I use API stress zyme or API quick start.
The main thing involved here is the cycled filter filter with cycled media. Filter must be adequate for tank tho. Cycling in one day is definitely possible.

Sarah J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
I used Marineland aquarium bacteria, stress zyme and filter media. I have a 125g tank and am using a Fluval fx4 canister filter that’s big enough for a 250g. I still think I’m cycling but definitely doing well. I have 5 small fish and a pleco in there. Not too much bioload. I’m adding ammonia as well in different ways. Keeping an eye on things and not being too hasty. I’ll be adding 4 other small fish next week and that will be the entirety of my stock. This will be a grow out tank and it won’t be crowded. Space makes fish happy in my opinion.

Reactions: Adictd2Fsh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store