Cycling tank and water changes

Hank82

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2019
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Without the addition of an inert, dormant bacterial culture that eats ammonia for a living, (prime is not a bacterial culture), it usually takes 6 to 8 weeks to cycle a tank.
Cycling has nothing to do with chlorine.
As Deeda said its the tank acquiring a large enough population of active ammonia and nitrite consuming bacteria to eat any your fish produce ( I use the word eat rather loosely).
Just letting a tank sit with filters on, is not cycling.
Only small additions of ammonia, or live fish producing ammonia, will adequately cycle a tank, and if you use fish, you should expect them to die (might not, but you should expect it).
Without ammonia, good bacteria don't grow, and even adding a culture does not cycle a tank immediately.
Although some bacteria reproduce logarithmically, it still take a while to get enough of them to use all the ammonia a (some) fish can produce.
Another way to get it done more quickly is to plant enough plants (usually a lot) that they reduce the toxic amount.
I cycled my last 180 gallon tank by first planting heavily, and growing a ton of algae in my sump (AKA algae scrubber) then adding about 2 dozen 1" mosquito fish. With that method I never saw any ammonia, nitrite, and even now 5 months later, with a dozen cichlids, and a few others, no detectable nitrate (this was a surprise to me) but not unheard of with the plants (including algae out weighing the fish by 4 or 5 times wet weight.
View attachment 1371297
Below the algae filled section of the sump
View attachment 1371298
View attachment 1371301
To answer about water changes, you don't start doing them until ammonia, and nitrite are undetectable, and nitrate starts to climb.
You could also hasten the process by taking bio-media from the filter of your goldfish (or some other) established tank. As long as it has been running with fish in it, until just before you add it to the new tank, the you add 1 or a few fish at the same time, to keep that media you just switched over to remain viable.
If I want to go with the fish way, how many fish should I get and what kind?

Hank82

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2019
Stillwater, Oklahoma
I don't mean this in a bad way but It sounds like you are way off the mark with your understanding of the nitrogen cycle. Without basic understanding of this vital component of our hobby then you will fail in your attempts to keep fish.

Fortunately there is masses of information out there. Take some time to read through the basics, and of course we will guide you as well.
Once the nitrogen cycle is established, I won't want any indications of ammonia correct?

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Once the nitrogen cycle is established, I won't want any indications of ammonia correct?
Thats correct. But dont go the fish in tank cyclingroute. Do a fishless cycle and do it properly.

Here you have alot of great info to read up on.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Apart from not being morally right, using fish to cycle a tank has other consequences. They would become a magnet for diseases and those diseases can spread on to your next fish.

Read on the Fishless cycle method or go the heavy planted route as suggested by Duanes.

Either way, don't jump into fish yet unless you want to become a fish killer, like many of us have already done, numerous times. It is not a good memory.

Cycling the tank fishlessly is a very good opportunity to learn how nitrification works, what entails having good water quality for your fish, and it will also give you time to research the fish you can keep in your tank. You'll be glad you did it and didn't rush through things.

Hank82

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2019
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Apart from not being morally right, using fish to cycle a tank has other consequences. They would become a magnet for diseases and those diseases can spread on to your next fish.

Read on the Fishless cycle method or go the heavy planted route as suggested by Duanes.

Either way, don't jump into fish yet unless you want to become a fish killer, like many of us have already done, numerous times. It is not a good memory.

Cycling the tank fishlessly is a very good opportunity to learn how nitrification works, what entails having good water quality for your fish, and it will also give you time to research the fish you can keep in your tank. You'll be glad you did it and didn't rush through things.
Where do you guys get your ammonium chloride?

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
Impressed by the dedication to trying to get it right the first time around. Bravo to you Hank and you'll get an understanding of it all soon enough. I think I'll leave this to everyone else unless i think i can clarify something better but im going to stay out for now to keep from "mucking up the water".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store