Cycling tank and water changes

Hank82

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2019
Stillwater, Oklahoma
I just realized that the activated charcoal has ammonia remover, do i need to get different charcoal?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I just realized that the activated charcoal has ammonia remover, do i need to get different charcoal?
Most of us don't use charcoal on a normal day to day basis. Normally it's used only after meds to neutralize them.
While it does help, it gets "used" quickly

It's another ploy of the aquarium trade that we have to have it in our tanks all the time to milk us of more money.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
is this a good video?
This is a good video, he definitely lays out what you need to do.
And to your other question, as others have chimed in, you need a source of ammonia to begin cycling. Without it you are doing nothing but putting water in a tank.
And activated carbon in a tank is almost always useless, unless for narrow specific purpose, as Jexnell said just a marketing ploy, like aquarium salt in freshwater tanks, a placebo at best..

Hank82

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2019
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Most of us don't use charcoal on a normal day to day basis. Normally it's used only after meds to neutralize them.
While it does help, it gets "used" quickly

It's another ploy of the aquarium trade that we have to have it in our tanks all the time to milk us of more money.
Haha ok so I don’t need this stuff anymore?

Hank82

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2019
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Keep some on hand for if needed. But keeping some in your tank all the time in not needed.
I have a fluval filter and it’s a canister what should I do with that part of the container? Should I just add media again?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Yes, that is what I do with all my filters. In the space the manufacturers set aside for charcoal, I put in more bio-rings to give them more area to propagate.

Reactions: Hank82

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
idk anything about that product specficly but im assuming its more money and say jsut stick with NH3

Reactions: Hank82
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store