Damsel Aquarium

Mbargas

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2016
I haven't kept saltwater aquariums for a long time, so I'm not totally up to date on the most recent trends with marine aquaria. Most of my recent experience has been with African and CA cichlids. Im not planning to set up one of those reef tanks with the more delicate specimens. I'm looking to set up a fairly simple tank, 30 to 40 gal to keep a variety of colorful damsels.

Any suggestions? Filtration, lighting, etc.

Comparability of various damsels? Any to be avoided?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I haven't been on the salt side of the hobby for quite a few years but I can say that there were a lot of interesting looking damsels available years ago and there may even be more species in the stores now.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Mbargas

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2016
It seems to me that most of the stores focus on all the high end delicate fish.
Not a whole lot of emphasis on the resilient damsels, which IMHO are among the most colorful and attractive of all, FW and SW included. I suppose that since they are relatively hardy, they are not much of a challenge, so people don't want them.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

RedRaven

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
They aren't colourful but I'm still very fond of domino damsels. not many 2" fish that will charge and attack your hands if they stray too close to the live rock :). Is there any species you like so far as the aggression can be quite varied. I haven't tried a damsel only setup so can't speak from experience but have owned a number of species within different tanks on and off over the years. Also some damsels are very attractive when in juvenile colouration but less so when adult examples of these would be species like Behn's (Neoglyphidodon nigroris) and tricolour (Paraglyphidodon Oxyodon). blue devil damsels (Chrysiptera cyanea) and Starcki damsels (Chrysiptera starcki) are smaller species that remain colourful and are somewhat less aggressive than say donimos and three stripe etc.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
If you into saltwater then soon you will know why peoples avoid to house damsel except clownfish which is in damsel family, they are aggressive and very territorial and usually don't want to live peacefully with any other species, if the other species can defend themselves then they will eat damsels in return :)

Reactions: tlindsey

Mbargas

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2016
If you into saltwater then soon you will know why peoples avoid to house damsel except clownfish which is in damsel family, they are aggressive and very territorial and usually don't want to live peacefully with any other species, if the other species can defend themselves then they will eat damsels in return :)
Well, African Cichlids are very aggressive and territorial as well, and they seem to do well in a tank containing many of them. In fact, a lot of aquarists recommend crowding them to diffuse the aggression among many.

Reactions: tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Some Damsels can be aggressive.I don't remember if this one was or not but it was among my favorites to keep.
images (5).jpg

Mbargas

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2016
Also some damsels are very attractive when in juvenile colouration but less so when adult.
Yeah, that is a valid concern. I certainly don't want a tank full of drab fish. Its just the opposite with African Cichlids. Most of them don't have much color as juveniles, but they color up nicely as they get older. Unfortunately many of the african cichlids don't color up until they are quite large, necessitating a really large tank.

I was thinking of getting some like blue devil, yellow tail, beau gregory, and various others.
I'm just not sure about compatibility.

Mbargas

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2016
BF4972EB-A3F0-4B2E-B570-683667B596E7.jpeg Well, I’ve now had my 30g damsel aquarium for about 6 months. Of course there have been some aggressive behaviors, but none so bad as what one might see with African or Central American cichlids. I have some nice color combinations: blue, yellow, pink, black, white.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
View attachment 1307636 Well, I’ve now had my 30g damsel aquarium for about 6 months. Of course there have been some aggressive behaviors, but none so bad as what one might see with African or Central American cichlids. I have some nice color combinations: blue, yellow, pink, black, white.
What are going to do with the Sargent majors,they get 6 inches or more long?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store