Damsel Aquarium

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Same thing that I do with all fish that outgrow their tanks. Move them to another tank.
The Mayan Cichlid that is in there will get even bigger than that eventually.
So you gonna keep the Mayan in salt ,fresh or brackish as an adult? And if u want to add another saltwater cichlid how about a juvy blue tilapia?

Mbargas

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2016
I haven’t decided on the Mayan yet. I have some other Mayans in FW and brackish.

I have a blue tilapia and Mozambique tilapia in FW. From what I understand the Mozambique is actually more salt tolerant than the blue.

I also have a Black Belt Cichlid in the SW tank. It just want present in the photo that I posted.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Mbargas

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2016
502939FB-675A-41F9-8927-8D1448C4C355.jpeg Here is a picture of the Black Belt Cichlid. It is about 3” and doing well. Overall, the cichlids and damsels seem to get along.

Mbargas

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2016
Interesting, never thought of black belts in full salt before.
It has been done before with mixed results. See this article:

https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/51532/Oldfield_Saltwater_Cichlids_2004.pdf

“One black belt did survive, however. It was eventually donated to the University of Toledo and displayed in a marine aquarium, where it cohabitated with damselfish and clownfish for over two years (final disposition unknown)”

BTW: I have now added an Orange Chromide. I will probably add Green Chromides as well, but I will probably need to set up a larger tank to accommodate all these fish..

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
It has been done before with mixed results. See this article:

https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/51532/Oldfield_Saltwater_Cichlids_2004.pdf

“One black belt did survive, however. It was eventually donated to the University of Toledo and displayed in a marine aquarium, where it cohabitated with damselfish and clownfish for over two years (final disposition unknown)”

BTW: I have now added an Orange Chromide. I will probably add Green Chromides as well, but I will probably need to set up a larger tank to accommodate all these fish..
Cool chromides are awesome,if you upgrade are you gonna add some scats?

Mbargas

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2016
294537DB-DCE5-4286-924F-38D9786A4A3F.jpeg
Cool chromides are awesome,if you upgrade are you gonna add some scats?
Yes, I already have green scats in there. They are quite peaceful, but they are able to defend themselves because of their poisonous spines. I noticed that if an aggressive damsel or Cichlid tries to bully them, the scats will tilt their bodies to point their spines toward their attacker, making them back off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store