dat tank mates.

KATALEKEEPER

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
Brooklyn, Ny
Hi guys, I am considering getting a dat for my 75. Here are the tankmates I would like to put with it. Not all of them, just these are the fish I like and would like to know if they would be ok with it.

.chubby yellow pleco
.any kind of bichir
.blood parrot
.featherfin sydnontis
.pink tail chalceus
.silver dollars
.bluegill

thats it!

any help would be appreciated thanks guys!

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Cfremont23

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2020
Hi guys, I am considering getting a dat for my 75. Here are the tankmates I would like to put with it. Not all of them, just these are the fish I like and would like to know if they would be ok with it.

.chubby yellow pleco
.any kind of bichir
.blood parrot
.featherfin sydnontis
.pink tail chalceus
.silver dollars
.bluegill

thats it!

any help would be appreciated thanks guys!
What datnoid? I don't think any can fit in a 75 for life Can they?

beau1990

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2018
Stanford Kentucky
The silver like the American datnoid? Pretty sure they need more salt in there water I believe thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter had one once he may be able to provide more insight. kno4te kno4te may also know something about this fish and for most if not all of them a 75 would only be a grow out imo

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Silver datnoid can work. Hit or miss on salt. Sometimes will get skin infections and others don’t. Not cb as far as i know and still wild caught. Should be fine for a chubby pleco, medium sized bichirs, featherfin and blood parrot. Other fish need some bigger swimming space. Especially as adults.

Reactions: KATALEKEEPER

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Had a young silver dat. will definitely outgrow the tank, they are very active and very picky with food. Ended up dying somehow lived like a king. GL.

Reactions: KATALEKEEPER

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
As long as none of the tank mates fit in the dat's mouth, I think it'd be fine. Chalceus is likely to be of most concern, being cigar shaped and a smaller fish.

I have a thread on my experience with the silver dat aka AT where I tried to diligently report it and other AT keepers e.g. Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683 and others kindly chimed in and provided invaluable knowledge for me. I think what kno4te says is probably right, although off the top of my head I'd say in most cases a transfer to brackish with age would have saved the fish from dying or living a miserable life.

SHAWNS2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2020
I bought 3 all the same size about 2"+, all seemed fine at first, then one has grown unrealistically larger than the others, coming at about 5+in, who is only aggressive to the other dats, to the point where i have one by itself with just a pleco and parrots in a 65, which is still about 2.5", while the 5+" and 3+", remain in the 200g with practically everything on your list, except for a small royal pleco instead. i can add pics if anyones interested when i get home. all ive got rn is hd vids on my phone.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store