Datinoides polota bloat

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Agree with RD but this is kind of obvious so Jib knows this... which makes me wonder if there is more to the story...

Apparently not, as Jib was attempting to feed peas, and stated the fish would not eat.

What can be done here, he wouldn't eat any peas.

IMO an epsom bath is generally better than feeding peas anyhoo, which is why I posted what I did. :)

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Haven't tried Epsom salt bath, will try that in the evening.

Reactions: Matteus

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Agree with RD but this is kind of obvious so Jib knows this... which makes me wonder if there is more to the story...

My 10"-12"-er featured in the thread Matteus linked above has a huge tummy and huge appetite too and also has always been in freshwater. I wonder if what you are describing will happen with mine too. How long has your 10"-er lived?
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter - the 10” er lived for about 2-3 years from a small size. Silvers seldom reach past 10” in captivity. Therefore, I believe salinity has a role in longevity. This is why I keep 1.5 cups of salt per every 100 gallon. Which is nowhere near brackish. All my dats and bichirs seem to thrive (3x Indo 13”-15”, 13” ngt, 3x NTT 5-6”, & 9” Silver AT)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Apparently not, as Jib was attempting to feed peas, and stated the fish would not eat.
IMO an epsom bath is generally better than feeding peas anyhoo, which is why I posted what I did. :)
Oh no doubt RD! My comment was directed at our dearest and esteemed Indian peer who, sometimes it seems to me, has given a vow of silence, acoustic or electric / virtual, IDK, may be both... and one has to use virtual pliers to pry words out of him... Am I right or am I right, Jib? :D

BTW, no polota in the right presence of mind would eat a pea, even if it was deep fried in fish juice. My impression anyway.

thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter - the 10” er lived for about 2-3 years from a small size. Silvers seldom reach past 10” in captivity. Therefore, I believe salinity has a role in longevity. This is why I keep 1.5 cups of salt per every 100 gallon. Which is nowhere near brackish. All my dats and bichirs seem to thrive (3x Indo 13”-15”, 13” ngt, 3x NTT 5-6”, & 9” Silver AT)
Good teaching as always, bro. Appreciate it. I didn't know all dats could benefit from salt. Are you talking table salt or marine salt? Are you planning to keep them at 1.5 cups for life, all of them, or increase / decrease? Or you are merely winging it?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
LOL, yes, I agree on all accounts Viktor! Thank you. :thumbsup:

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Oh no doubt RD! My comment was directed at our dearest and esteemed Indian peer who, sometimes it seems to me, has given a vow of silence, acoustic or electric / virtual, IDK, may be both... and one has to use virtual pliers to pry words out of him... Am I right or am I right, Jib? :D

BTW, no polota in the right presence of mind would eat a pea, even if it was deep fried in fish juice. My impression anyway.

Good teaching as always, bro. Appreciate it. I didn't know all dats could benefit from salt. Are you talking table salt or marine salt? Are you planning to keep them at 1.5 cups for life, all of them, or increase / decrease? Or you are merely winging it?

Rock Salt. Through my years of keeping dats. I’ve seldomly use salt. I’m not sure if they do better long term. A longtime stingray, dat, and bichir keeper I know been dosing 2 cups per 100 gal for years with success. So Figured I try it out about 5-6 months ago. So far so good

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Rock Salt. Through my years of keeping dats. I’ve seldomly use salt. I’m not sure if they do better long term. A longtime stingray, dat, and bichir keeper I know been dosing 2 cups per 100 gal for years with success. So Figured I try it out about 5-6 months ago. So far so good
This is very interesting, in my tank there are 2 rays, a few dats and one crenicichla and two cats( tigrinus and rouseauxii). I am not that comfortable in adding salt to this tank.

How much is actually a cup of salt in weight ???

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india

Lol.
My visit to the forum is quite sporadic.

I hope the pliers are kept Outta the equation, a simple tag will make me respond, hope I haven't missed any yet.

I have never used Epson salt before, I did get some yesterday, any specific way to use this for datinoides??

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Lol.
My visit to the forum is quite sporadic.

I hope the pliers are kept Outta the equation, a simple tag will make me respond, hope I haven't missed any yet.

I have never used Epson salt before, I did get some yesterday, any specific way to use this for datinoides??
None specific for dats. 1 tsbp per 5g. Can slowly increase up 3 tbsp per 5g but would start at the lower end.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
None specific for dats. 1 tsbp per 5g. Can slowly increase up 3 tbsp per 5g but would start at the lower end.
That's for a long term bath in-tank, right Ron?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store