Datnoid eye damaged

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Hi all,

really bad news today :(. My datnoid that I’ve kept for a few months now suddenly has a damaged white eye. Water parameters are fine imo although I have not tested it since my test stripes expired. Yesterday the datnoid was fine and eating but this morning found one of his eyes completely messed up. My suspicion is that it was from heater burn since there seems to be some hanging white stuff in the heater and his eye seems to be physically damaged. That or it knocked on a piece of drift wood. Any advice to curing this? Will it be permanently blind or is it possible it can recover? Rn my biggest concern is for it to recover and not get any worse. Will be doing a 30 percent water change. Tank is planted with 6 angelfish, a 14 inch lapradei bichir. Please help!

thanks,
Ray

AC93FC25-45F3-4BF1-A32F-14323CD151ED.jpeg

CB48B7E7-03C4-4D6E-9110-6CC7F6BFD6BE.jpeg

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
The lfs will test your water for a small fee. I suggest taking out the driftwood for now keep water in pristine conditions.
Thank you for the reply. Currently because of the pandemic I’m trying to limit travel and contact as I am high risk for getting the virus :/. However, I’ll keep that in mind. Looked at some other posts and it seems to be less water quality related and more injury related since it only seems to affect one eye and all other fish are fine. Because the tank is large and planted, I won’t be able to add salt, melafix, and do as frequent water changes so I’m deciding to quarantine it in a 10 gallon. The fish is approximately 4-5 inches so may be a bit small but I think it should do for the time being. Let me know if this sounds like a recipe for disaster or a good idea. Also how much salt per 100 gallons and melafix y’all think? Will the recommended dosage in the instructions be okay? Thanks again!

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thank you for the reply. Currently because of the pandemic I’m trying to limit travel and contact as I am high risk for getting the virus :/. However, I’ll keep that in mind. Looked at some other posts and it seems to be less water quality related and more injury related since it only seems to affect one eye and all other fish are fine. Because the tank is large and planted, I won’t be able to add salt, melafix, and do as frequent water changes so I’m deciding to quarantine it in a 10 gallon. The fish is approximately 4-5 inches so may be a bit small but I think it should do for the time being. Let me know if this sounds like a recipe for disaster or a good idea. Also how much salt per 100 gallons and melafix y’all think? Will the recommended dosage in the instructions be okay? Thanks again!
I personally don't use Melafix but salt should help the eye heal. 2 tablespoons for 10 gallons of water.https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/salt-dosage-for-cloudy-eyes-and-split-fins.607478/

Reactions: Rayfishowner

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
I personally don't use Melafix but salt should help the eye heal. 2 tablespoons for 10 gallons of water.https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/salt-dosage-for-cloudy-eyes-and-split-fins.607478/
Okay I added the datnoid to quarantine 10 gallon with 2 tablespoons of aquarium salt. Keeping water at 78 and will do daily or every other day water changes. Haven’t added melafix yet since I want to wait to see what others have to say. Thanks again super grateful that you came and helped. This has to be the worst aquarium related jump scare for me and sucks to be happening to one of the most outgoing and favorite fish ?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Okay I added the datnoid to quarantine 10 gallon with 2 tablespoons of aquarium salt. Keeping water at 78 and will do daily or every other day water changes. Haven’t added melafix yet since I want to wait to see what others have to say. Thanks again super grateful that you came and helped. This has to be the worst aquarium related jump scare for me and sucks to be happening to one of the most outgoing and favorite fish ?
I know what you mean had to give Datnoid a Methylen Blue dip or he/she would have died 4 yrs ago.
The Datnoid is about a 1 ft. now.

20170928_114505.jpg

20190718_071520.jpg

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
K krichardson kno4te kno4te any advice? Do you guys think I should add melafix with the aquarium salt or will salt be enough. Also, does this injury look like it will heal or is it most likely a lost cause. It would be a bummer if the fish is blinded for life but I rather that than it die. Thanks in advance!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store