Datnoid tank size?

Iamfish

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
www.instagram.com
I have been reading though datnoid tank size articles today and half of them say a 125 is big enough and half say It should be bigger. I was wondering if I really could house 1 Dat in my standard 6x18x21 125 gallon tank. He would be the only top swimmer in the tank and would have all open swimming space as the structures are all lower to the ground.

Reactions: dr exum

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have been reading though datnoid tank size articles today and half of them say a 125 is big enough and half say It should be bigger. I was wondering if I really could house 1 Dat in my standard 6x18x21 125 gallon tank. He would be the only top swimmer in the tank and would have all open swimming space as the structures are all lower to the ground.

K krichardson

Reactions: dr exum and Iamfish

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Yep krichardson could better advise, but my thought is it might be ok when it's younger but too small when it gets older/bigger. Also Dats aren't really top level swimmers, from what I've seen they prefer to be near the bottom/middle of tank.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
K krichardson
Yep krichardson could better advise, but my thought is it might be ok when it's younger but too small when it gets older/bigger. Also Dats aren't really top level swimmers, from what I've seen they prefer to be near the bottom/middle of tank.
Thanks for the kind words guys.A lone dat would have plenty of space in a 125 for quite a while but keep in mind that a full grown dat would not be able to turn around in that tank.That would take quite a few years though.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Thanks for the kind words guys.A lone dat would have plenty of space in a 125 for quite a while but keep in mind that a full grown dat would not be able to turn around in that tank.That would take quite a few years though.
That's one thing that's got me kind of puzzled about Datnoids: been wondering why they're such slow growers compared to most other monster fish (as I can clearly see with my little NTT even though he eats like a pig)... You'd think (even more so since their wild caught), that Mother Nature would have programmed them to grow a bit faster, least of all to help avoid predation while younger.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The slow growth rate is one of my dat peeves too lol....just a guess but I suspect it may have to do with the fact that they are a long living species.Dats are pretty much lurkers and ambush predators in the wild so I'd imagine the young stay well hidden among the plants and debris most of the time.

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
go as big as you can in the end-Dats are deceiving when you read about how LONG they get. Its how big overall they get too-their height and overall mass. I've seen some in person around 15" and they'd look cramped in my 180G. Can only imagine how big some of these 20" or more are to look at
I realise one day I'm going to have to upgrade my 180G all going well

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Thx for responses, I figured they would eventually outgrow the tank but thought I would ask when I found something that said Ntt's did not grow as big.
I think all of the dat species are capable of surpassing at least the 12 inch mark,check out the large thinbars that someone has for sale in the Marketplace.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Has anyone grown from 2” to say 12”?

Is it 5 years or more? We talking Rhom growth rate?

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store