Datnoid's stability mystery

eeJamBOYan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
South East Asia
I used to house 5 juvies together introduced at the same time to grow out.
All were of the same sizes (~4inches) except one. Smaller by an inch and a half.
But the interesting bit was that that small one shows the "stable" colours all the time. However, he was the one that hid alot while the rest were VERY active swimming all over the tank interacting with one another; "unstable" colours.

Kept me wondering if "stable" is stable..

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
Anyone know for sure yet as to why they are unstable or stable. List them here. Here is my reasons as I kept many of them for the past 2 yrs.

Always feel like water condition got nothing to do with being stable or not. For some reason, everytime i introduce them into a new tank, it is always stable at first. then it is on or off. But I know for sure that when my datnoids particularily NTT and Indos, they get stable when they fight/flight with other fishes.

Any care to comment or express their views.
I wonder..In the late 70's they were just SiameseTigers..I raised 3 in a 135 plexi glass tank. They were always bright gold w/ 4 big bold wide black stripes. They only ate large feeders. Kept them for 5 or 6 years..almost 9in big. Now we got all these different breeds, names, personalties, stable/non stable...I wonder if the species has been tampered with by humans for financial gains. I now have 5 called Sumatra Datnoids. Always dark shy afraid of light. Tried different tank background and bottom..tankmates. there on frozen krill, silversides and pellets. seller says they are from deep waters..I wonder
Anyone know for sure yet as to why they are unstable or stable. List them here. Here is my reasons as I kept many of them for the past 2 yrs.

Always feel like water condition got nothing to do with being stable or not. For some reason, everytime i introduce them into a new tank, it is always stable at first. then it is on or off. But I know for sure that when my datnoids particularily NTT and Indos, they get stable when they fight/flight with other fishes.

Any care to comment or express their views.

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
I have a few indos in a sixty gallon grow out and they range in size from 2.5 inches to over 4 inches.These guys rarely ever come out of hiding and are unstable most of the time.They do seem to come out early in the day when the lights are off.....or just after a water change lol.Then I have a few others in an almost bare tank with just gravel and one driftwood branch.There is a large widebar in this tank also which I suspect makes the indo and thinbar feel more at ease as they are always stable and active and they travel around the tank with the widebar.
That sounds normal for the smaller Dats. Mine came out when room and tank were dark/water changes/hungry..they are 4-5 inches now and still dark. 3 have grown fast and aren't as shy..always bickering but the 2 smaller ones just hide in dark spots up high. I tell you this isn't how they were 25 years ago. they were like Oscars..brave and bold more aggresive

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
Maybe you have had more than me but I have lost count since I have been keeping them off and on since about 91 or 92.
I've thinking with experience comes knowledge..if you don't have these when it comes to raising certain species its more of a challenge. there are a lot of hit and miss options in the bag you got to be patient and try them all...if you know them. I been raising them since early 80's

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
Every year I think I'm closer to knowing what makes them
Stable... Not a chance... I've owned lots of tigers to know what makes one stable
Doesn't mean its the same for others... All of T1s comments are accurate and I concur the reasons he mentions do make the IT go stable.... However
I look at my tank now. Fish have been fed today, 7 /10 tigers are all stable and swimming peacefully together, all at differed levels in the tank.. No fighting , no stress not chasing: to me right now, they seem calm happy and not stressed.
Yet, tomorrow morning they might all be unstable in the corners... It happens .
Half of my tigers go black when chased or in a net, some do the opposite.
I don't think anyone is right, I think stable = stressed or not-stressed (vice versa)
there you go...you got this...if you dwell on it too much it makes you unstable

Reactions: islandguy11

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
good post . Agree with all your comments. I think indos are meant to be unstable and stable in theor life time. i.e. genetic born this way as you say.. definately agree, bigger they get , more braver , can lbe more stable, and it often takes over a year in my experience. a long time to wait. but well worth it.

And some ITs are stabel 24/7. ... these ones are the odd ones out. there arnt many like this, and they always command a higher price.
Keep in mind, these are monster fish. Even when their 5-7 inches there still babies, their bodies grow much faster than their little minds

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
Come on simonsym, your like a lone warrior battering the posts to explain your point of which you have no evidence of cross breeding all these tigers as you keep saying. I get your point .

So unless u have proof , you are guessing. What you are proposing doesn't even classify as conjecture.
And the different shadesof colour the IT come in, well how can you say that's from x breeding???? Just look at animals in the wild with stripes or patterns like a big cat tiger for example; no one tiger has the same stripes or the same shade of orange...

By me saying your guessing; this is not meant to be as an insult, but based on your mt
ultiple post responses I think u have taken it the wrong way.

Just proove to me they are being crossed. So we can all stop
being fooled by our own imagination. Lol
actually he has a good point. I'll repeat..back in the 70's there were only Siamise Tigers..they were always full color never dull or black or shy. I raised 3 from the size of a nickel to the size of a football. But over the years there has been so many new names and body styles and characteristics. I have 5 now called Sumatra Datnoids and they are nothing like the ones I had back in 1970..I'm 65

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
actually he has a good point. I'll repeat..back in the 70's there were only Siamise Tigers..they were always full color never dull or black or shy. I raised 3 from the size of a nickel to the size of a football. But over the years there has been so many new names and body styles and characteristics. I have 5 now called Sumatra Datnoids and they are nothing like the ones I had back in 1970..I'm 65
The difference from back then to now is the fact ST’s aka pulchers are now identified instead of just being mixed in with Indo’s like they use to be/almost extinct in the wild cause how desirable they became for always staying bright gold. Your Sumatra dats are Indonesian tigers. Sumatra is just the area they come from. They may also call these fish 3bars, 4bars, forkbars, vbars, or just oddball indos .... all the same fish but all with different price tags lol. All still get into the mid 20inch range. These are also hit or miss if they will be stable or unstable which refers to them being black or showing their nice bold black bars on a gold body. Then you have the short body version’s of these fish which I personally just Can’t stand. Then you have some called rhino indos or unique cause they have like a horn growing out of their head or chunks/fins missing from the body. Short body’s and this unique ones are the tampered ones. LoL a lot has changed since the 70’s to now. Welcome back to the datnoid world hope this helps you.

Reactions: banesbane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store