Datnoid's stability mystery

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
The difference from back then to now is the fact ST’s aka pulchers are now identified instead of just being mixed in with Indo’s like they use to be/almost extinct in the wild cause how desirable they became for always staying bright gold. Your Sumatra dats are Indonesian tigers. Sumatra is just the area they come from. They may also call these fish 3bars, 4bars, forkbars, vbars, or just oddball indos .... all the same fish but all with different price tags lol. All still get into the mid 20inch range. These are also hit or miss if they will be stable or unstable which refers to them being black or showing their nice bold black bars on a gold body. Then you have the short body version’s of these fish which I personally just Can’t stand. Then you have some called rhino indos or unique cause they have like a horn growing out of their head or chunks/fins missing from the body. Short body’s and this unique ones are the tampered ones. LoL a lot has changed since the 70’s to now. Welcome back to the datnoid world hope this helps you.
Good point. Does the fact that Dats aren't known to breed in captivity, their sex can't be determined, how expensive they are, the many species, just too many secrets about them make me think somehow the original Siamese Tiger is being cross breed and and many species sold to hobbist who are fascinated with their boldness and unfish like personalities. I saw for the first time just recently a Marble Datnoid, wow, looked like a Dat with dark grey body and light grey striped length wise his body, like a tiger shovel nose catfish. humm

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
The difference from back then to now is the fact ST’s aka pulchers are now identified instead of just being mixed in with Indo’s like they use to be/almost extinct in the wild cause how desirable they became for always staying bright gold. Your Sumatra dats are Indonesian tigers. Sumatra is just the area they come from. They may also call these fish 3bars, 4bars, forkbars, vbars, or just oddball indos .... all the same fish but all with different price tags lol. All still get into the mid 20inch range. These are also hit or miss if they will be stable or unstable which refers to them being black or showing their nice bold black bars on a gold body. Then you have the short body version’s of these fish which I personally just Can’t stand. Then you have some called rhino indos or unique cause they have like a horn growing out of their head or chunks/fins missing from the body. Short body’s and this unique ones are the tampered ones. LoL a lot has changed since the 70’s to now. Welcome back to the datnoid world hope this helps you.
Good point. Does the fact that Dats aren't known to breed in captivity, their sex can't be determined, how expensive they are, the many species, just too many secrets about them make me think somehow the original Siamese Tiger is being cross breed and and many species sold to hobbist who are fascinated with their boldness and unfish like personalities. I saw for the first time just recently a Marble Datnoid, wow, looked like a Dat with dark grey body and light grey striped length wise his body, like a tiger shovel nose catfish. humm

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Well sexing is nearly impossible but some people say body shape can help determine this. They are breeding some but hormones are need and milking. Others doing it in deep massive tanks. As for colors, there’s orange, white, reddish, jet black ones out there which sell for a lot.

Reactions: tlindsey

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
Well sexing is nearly impossible but some people say body shape can help determine this. They are breeding some but hormones are need and milking. Others doing it in deep massive tanks. As for colors, there’s orange, white, reddish, jet black ones out there which sell for a lot.
two of my Dats are always togeather weather play fighting or chasing or just side by side doing this dance (( )) be awesome if they would make babies..$$$$ you know lol

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
two of my Dats are always togeather weather play fighting or chasing or just side by side doing this dance (( )) be awesome if they would make babies..$$$$ you know lol
That’s them just fighting over who’s boss. I’ve only heard of one dat laying eggs in a tank with a totally different specie of fish.

Fish Heav3n

Candiru
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2008
New Jersey
After going through this very long thread, I don't think color and stability of IT are solely based on being stressed or unstressed. I believe it depend more on the environment, diet, size etc. Check out the video of the Sumatra tiger and Borneo tiger I found online. The Sumatra look very relax and calm while showing gold color. The Borneo on the other hand are stable but dont show the same gold color. I also attached a mini map of the two island.

Sumatra Golden Tiger

Borneo 4 Bar and 3 Bar

Indo Map.png

Sumatra Island only have one type of IT called Sumatra Golden tiger fish.

Borneo Island has two type of IT called Borneo 4 bar and 3 bar tiger fish. 50846346_1986226008140310_8825755243175215104_o.jpg

Last edited:

eeJamBOYan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
South East Asia
There are 2 varieties of Indo Tiger coming out naturally in the wild from Indonesia and that map reflects that accurately.

Personally I have not been to the Sumatra side of the country but locals did share and explain this in depth which explains the different "stable" and "unstable" colours we generally see available in the market.

Majority of the Borneo "unstable" get shipped internationally out of Asia. Sumatran variety fetch higher prices because of it being "stable". The sort that is nice to look at aka STABLE TIGERS.

Reactions: Fish Heav3n

Fish Heav3n

Candiru
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2008
New Jersey
Ofcourse there are other factors that determines the stability of these Indo Dats especially those coming from Borneo.

Unstable Dat is not a stressed fish. Likewise a Dat hiding in the corner is not neccessarily an unhealthy fish.
Unstable can mean both as stress or unstress. It depend on the situation. I have seen stressed out tiger that are stable aswell as unstress tiger that are unstable. Young and baby tiger tend to stay unstable as a way to camouflage or bend in with the environment. Once they feel more safe or get older they tend to stay more stable. Keep in mind these are monster fish that can grow pass 18 inch so a small datnoid is basically still a baby.
There are 2 varieties of Indo Tiger coming out naturally in the wild from Indonesia and that map reflects that accurately.

Personally I have not been to the Sumatra side of the country but locals did share and explain this in depth which explains the different "stable" and "unstable" colours we generally see available in the market.

Majority of the Borneo "unstable" get shipped internationally out of Asia. Sumatran variety fetch higher prices because of it being "stable". The sort that is nice to look at aka STABLE TIGERS.
Yes Sumatra are also nicer in color and rarer compare to Borneo.

Last edited:

Fish Heav3n

Candiru
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2008
New Jersey
Ofcourse there are other factors that determines the stability of these Indo Dats especially those coming from Borneo.

Unstable Dat is not a stressed fish. Likewise a Dat hiding in the corner is not neccessarily an unhealthy fish.
Agreed, my group of baby Indo tiger are always hiding especially when the light is on but whenever I feed them they are eating like crazy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store