Dats in bare tanks

Morcs

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2009
Auckland, NZ
How well do Dats do in bare tanks?

At the moment ive got a load of low light plants, sand, bits of driftwood and pvc pipe...

I like a tank that looks nice, but at the same time when theres a lot of decor theres always something that irritates me, and I move stuff around a fair bit.. not to mention waste builds up in places that are impossible to Vac...
I kinda like the idea of a bare tank.

My Dat hides a fair bit, ive got rid of all the aggressive/boisterous tank mates, yet he still hides away.

My tank is tinted glass allround except the front, thinking of having it completely bare, and just having 2 dats and 2 polys, will it work ok?

I know the polys will be fine, but concerned about how the dats colour (IT, and thinking of getting an AT) in a black-as tank?

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Bare tank worked best for me. Had tank with sand for 4 years. Tigers kept smashing sand around, ends up stuck in filters. For the last year .. Bare tank= much simpler... And cleaner tank IMO... Tigers don't seemed bothered by it. If any thing, all got a bit more stable :)

Morcs

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Tanks is bare. Took about 30 mins to suck all the sand out, didnt even remove any water.

Just got to do the final vacuum this evening :)

HiImSean

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2007
kennesaw, ga
its personal opinion. i prefer sand. i've tried BB and didn't like it. i have a thin layer of sand in my 125g, enough to look good but not too think to trap crap.

Morcs

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Its not just the sand for me, its the decor too (DW, PVC pipes etc..) whenever ive lifted one out, a LOT of poo and debris goes straight up into the water... Ill have the barebottom with a couple of pipes or a peice of driftwood.

It still looks really bare with just a baby IT and a baby Delhezi at the moment :(

So ill get another birchir and a couple more dats maybe :headbang2

Austin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2005
all mine are bare except the 300 and it's only got about 10# of sand in it just for a little covering.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Morcs;3506282; said:
Tanks is bare. Took about 30 mins to suck all the sand out, didnt even remove any water.

Just got to do the final vacuum this evening :)
Be cautious when removing all (100%)
of sand at same time. The substrate can hold some beneficial bacteriaand removing all at once can trigger a amonia spike.

A member here (sticky rice) did that, took all the sand out in one hit , and lost lots of tigers the very next day....
I suppose if there are no probs in your tank by now, then u have nothing to worry about. I remember, he had loads of substrate and was heavily
stocked, and your not.....so it should be ok.

Morcs

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Ade;3507843; said:
Be cautious when removing all (100%)
of sand at same time. The substrate can hold some beneficial bacteriaand removing all at once can trigger a amonia spike.

A member here (sticky rice) did that, took all the sand out in one hit , and lost lots of tigers the very next day....
I suppose if there are no probs in your tank by now, then u have nothing to worry about. I remember, he had loads of substrate and was heavily
stocked, and your not.....so it should be ok.
mm yes I did overlook this aspect, though it was nothing like a DSB, just a good 1/2 inch layer, and both my AC110s run 1.5 sponges in each, and the tank is very very lightly stocked (1 4'' poly, 1 3.5'' IT)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store