DAT's Sex - Is it MALE or FEMALE?

Lok Tiger Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Thailand
shoefreak03;1870962; said:
you are a good guy after all. hehe. :thumbsup:

Lok Tiger Fish: Let us know how to milk the male dats too... Curious since not much info come out of Thailand since everyone seems to want to keep it a secret. you are our MOLE... :D

Shoefreak,

milking them is just like milking other fishes, i.e tilapias, mekong catfish, perch etc. but a dat died immediatly after milking because the eggs were only 80% ready, so it was very sensitive compared to others.

some hormones and chemicals (don't know what its called) were injected to speed up the eggs and female etc hours or day prior to milking) but not seen it fertilize after mixing with the sperm externally eventhough eggs look perfectly ready.

hope this helps.

Lok Tiger Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Thailand
StIcKy~RiCe;1871090; said:
Lok Tiger fish..sa watt dee klop.

Thanks for the information. exactly like i watch some of those vids about ST.

I will be going to Laos some time next year, hope by then you can successful with the breeding. I will drop by Thailand to meet up with you and your friends to share information and i hope you have atleast a few days for me there. Also show me around go-go bar lol....
Sticky,

always welcome.

Datnoid101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Off the deep end
tigercraze.com
Concerning the ways of sexing, Stability in ST might be true but others I think its a failed theory. I've seen IT's and NTT's bright yellow and poop brown the next day. Also the body shape can be altered through water height. I've grown out baby IT's in different tank heights and lengths. Dats growing up in a higher environment have signs of great vertical growth while the others have a longer body type. I've also grown out different coloration in dats. Some ngts I have are normal yellow and black while others have nice red in certain areas. The same for NTTs. But this was a varient in shrimp given. The normal color was from pellet foods while the ones with red are given primarily shrimp and krill. Lok, you seem to have kept tigers longer than me so I'm sure there must be some truth to your words but for sexing I'm a little disbelieving. So even the use of large breeding ponds, breeding has failed? Are you covering the bottoms with rocks, wood, substrate? Green water, uv filtered water? I've seen some of my 12" ITs swim next to each other facing diff directions and see one of them do their mating dance the same as cichlids do when trying to spawn. Does this mean its a male? The two that looked like they were courting are of same coloration and body shape. I hope this dosent mean that I have two males trying to mate. Any additional indepth info on pond setup and tank info would be great. Thanks for trying to bring more info to the table of breeding.

Lok Tiger Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Thailand
Siniste J,

great to hear from you again.

i really agree on your points on size and look distortion from food, tank environment, it does really make a difference.

about the pond question. around 8-10 years ago, i gave a batch of 5 20++'s ST's to my friend put into his pond, there were 2 males and 3 females, they were raised in my 5 by 3 by 1.5 metres before going to the pond.

this pond that they were put it was 400 by 400 metres and two meters deep and a basin in the middle around 3 meters. this was his backyard house and Thai style ponds here don't have any substrate.

the pond has reared siamensis giant carp before so the pond reared fish before.

this is what was done to the pond before putting the fishes in:

- let water fill up naturally with rain water in the monsoon season.
-put in whole stumps of driftwood brought from dams, and put in cracked thai water collecting bowls, 1 by 1 meter size, 3 of them.
-released silver bettas, small grass carp, ghost shrimp, dwarf gouramis, and other small fishes 6 months prior to releasing the tigers.
-water change once a week, around 10% by pumping water out for gardening and pumping in new water from the water pond next it.
-pond filled with water lilies and thai typical plants.

we put these fishes in for about three full years with abundant natural food supply and no interference as it was a backyard pond.

we pumped the pond to almost dry to check out the fish, but nothing happened other than having four left (which we think it died) and growing bigger and thicker. this was a shame though as this was the first time i tried to breed them and thought that this method shouldn't be hard as it was a close to its natural habitat already. ( i went to bung borapetch to fish and observe the water and vegetation many times before). but this didn't succeed.

so are trying to find new ways nowadays but females are scare everywhere, especially full grown and well reared ones. males are still plenty.

mark7616

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2007
UK
Lok Tiger Fish;1882130; said:
Siniste J,
this pond that they were put it was 400 by 400 metres and two meters deep and a basin in the middle around 3 meters. this was his backyard house and Thai style ponds here don't have any substrate.
Thats 84535056g could you please explian how you do a 10% water change on that as you said you do it once a week for gardening?????? how big is the guys garden that he uses 845350.56g a week?? Also when you drained the pond where does the water go? I am bemused by this whole thing?

Lok Tiger Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Thailand
mark7616;1885355; said:
Thats 84535056g could you please explian how you do a 10% water change on that as you said you do it once a week for gardening?????? how big is the guys garden that he uses 845350.56g a week?? Also when you drained the pond where does the water go? I am bemused by this whole thing?

Mark7616,

this is a pond, not a tank, use a commercial 6,000++ gallon/per hr pump. half a day will do.

he's got 3 of these ponds. he's got a rubber + teak plantation not inc. house behind the ponds + vegetable farm that his mom uses to grow fruit and vegs. thats why i use one of his ponds to experiment. hectares wise i don't know, but land measurements here is 400 by 400 meters = 1 RAI, his piece of land is in the 120+ RAI.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store