David R's 370g thread...

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Following on from this thread, I've decided to go with one big tank dedicated to South Americans. Its not going to be an authentic biotope like Japes tanks (its hard enough trying to limit myself to fish from one continent, let alone one river!), but the stock will be strictly South American, at this stage plecos and cichlids.

Dimensions are 240cm long, 97cm wide, 63cm high. Filtration will be a big DIY trickle filter, and perhaps an FX5 for good measure if I can pick up a second hand one for cheap enough. I'm planning on building a 400mm high stand so its an ideal height for viewing while seated, and easier to get in to for cleaning, and will be putting a hole through the wall between the fishroom and the garage so all the filters can be located in the garage inside a purpose built cupboard. I'll be making a simple polystyrene background for the tank, and it will have sand substrate and several large pieces of wood.

At the moment, the fish I have to choose from are;
Cichlids:
G. altifrons x7, 4-12cm (possibly picking up another 6 2"ers as a trade for one of my dats, but I'll thin the number down as they get larger)
S. leucosticta 10cm
A. heckelii x2 16cm
H. sp. Rotkeil 4 12-14cm
Uaru amphiacanthoides x3 6-10cm
P. scalare 'Peru Altum' x3 body ~6cm, over 6" tall.

Plecs:
Royal L190 12cm
Blue Phantom L128 15cm
Flash L204 3cm (can get more, new shipment coming in soon)
Hypancistrus L066 x3 4cm
Hypancistrus L270 4cm (might get more)
Royal whiptail x3 ~8cm

I'm open to all suggestions, I'll be keeping my 210g with the clown loaches so some of the "left overs" can go in there. I'v got a pink tail chalceus I'm considering adding for some variety, and may consider some Anostomus or other Characins depending on how it looks with the cichlids and plecos.

With the altifrons, I'm unsure of the final group size I'll keep, although I don't want the tank to look crowded. I was discussing it with a friend who also has a large group of them, and although the usual advice seems to be to keep them in a group with 2-3 females for every male to spread aggression, has anyone tried them in a group of all males? I have two male heckelii around 16cm and there is very little aggression between them, certainly a lot less than I'd expect if there was a female involved (isn;t that always the way with guys?!).

FSM

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Georgia
I think you may find that such a short stand will be too short. My 120 gallon is about that height, but the stand is twice as high as you are planning.
I would build it to be about 50 or 60 cm tall.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I was looking at a friends tank (240x65x65) which is only 30cm off the ground, its a little low but I wouldn't want it too much higher than that for viewing sitting down. I might go for 350mm with 50mm poly to make it about 400mm high. If I go higher than 350mm it starts getting more complicated, I was just going to use 300x50 (12x2") on edge with 100x50 (4x2) on top flat to make the supporting edge a little wider.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Stocklist looks good, though it could use one addition:D

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Bderick67;4028341; said:
Stocklist looks good, though it could use one addition:D
Thats why I decided to sell the green and get a tank big enough to house a black for life. Fingers crossed my optimism pays off one day....

devder1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2008
arizona
i would advise against single geos, i would stick to 3 groups of 6 of a species

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Yeah a lot of people say that, but the lone leuco is doing just fine. I am thinking about adding more though. I kinda feel like starting with a large number of smaller fish and thinning them out as they grow will be the best option. Any reason why I shouldn't add a group of leucosticta to the mix??

And no comments on my idea of an all-male group of altifrons?

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
Can't speak to the altifrons but while the eartheaters will be fine as just one, they're much better off in groups.

I personally have always subscribed to the idea of overstocking smaller specimens and thinning the herd later. I still have 13 orangeheads left in a 125... with about 20 other fish!

Only two are adults though.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Got an email from the tank builder saying he's done the tank and its ready to be delivered today! A week earlier than it was supposed to be done, which is good in some ways, but also meant that I had a heck of a lot to do today to get everything ready for its arrival.

Two tanks gone, space for one big one;

Timber cut, Toby approves;

The first of two frames that will sit on top of each other, forming a 400mm high stand, plus 50mm of poly (no ply) to make the total height 450mm, pretty much ideal for viewing sitting down IMO.

Finishing off the second frame;

More pics tomorrow when the tank arrives!
I still haven't finalised the filtration yet, working on a design for a decent sized sump/trickle filter and also a chamber to let heavier waste settle out to help reduce clogging of the mechanical filter media.

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
that is tiiiight. those woods look so strong. Feel safe with them as a stand. That's perfect switch off. 2 smalls for 1 big. Coming up in the world.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store