dead white oak branch: the sequel

overdrive

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2016
So I finally managed to get my tank looking decent! This is my first attempt at aquascaping. I'm planning on taking another set of pictures in a few months time, when that branch has finally absorbed enough water I don't have to subtly weigh it down with rocks.

It was hard getting pictures because the lighting is a bit wonky, seeing as I only got one light with the tank.

Reactions: tlindsey

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Nice start :)

I'd sand down or try and break the top bit of that wood to make it look more natural. Or cover it with moss.

Also, try looking for full length LED's, when you get them eventually, you'll regret not doing it sooner; everything looks much better :p

Brent419

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2014
Toledo OH
A trick I have used to weight down drift wood (without looking like I am trying to weight it down) is to drill a couple of holes in it and run some cable ties thru them. (Do this near the bottom in inconspicuous locations). Place on a somewhat larger peice of plastic egg crate (Home Depot/ lowes lighting department), strap into to place, and then place in tank. Place some larger rocks on the egg crate and then fill in all around with the substrate. If you've done a good job, you won't see the holes or the cable ties. I've done this with many different floaters and have never had problems.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I agree with Convict, tank looks like its off to a good start, but if possible, it would be great if you could do something with those clean cut edges to rough them up to look more natural, since the shape of the wood looks good, but the fact the cuts are so clean makes it look a little artificial ;)

Reactions: convict360

overdrive

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2016
Yeah I was definitely considering that! Though if all goes according to plan the smooth edges will be buried in sand

Reactions: Fat Homer

overdrive

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2016

The log is getting more waterlogged so it's easier to pin down now. I flipped it around a bit, but it's really not doing it for me at this angle. Anyone have thoughts on what would make it look more balanced?

overdrive

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2016

I think things are really starting to come together! I know I need to sand those branch edges already, but dang if I can't seem to remember where I stashed the sandpaper.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store