Deadeye’s Amazon Puffer Thread

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Been a bit.
Not much new developments besides trying to incorporate new foods (they don’t seem to care for freeze dried tubifex but are growing to love frozen mysis). Still probably too small for the flukers river shrimp and I haven’t tried repashys in months…been too busy to make it.
They are all doing great, still skittish but very fun.
I see them munch on algae every now and then, and I spotted one eating an algae wafer. Definitely more herbivorous than I thought they would be.
No aggression as of current, even with the loaches.
I’m probably going to get some sort of livebearer for a hand on algae. Just need to pick which.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Lost a tetra…I’d share a pic to see if anyone has any thoughts but the only one I have is a messed up ball of flesh (between the loaches, pleco, puffers, and tetras, bodies don’t last long).
I noticed it hanging by the filter outtake and sort of swimming weird the night before, figured something was up but never did anything. I hope the others are okay.

Reactions: dr exum

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Added 3 mollies today. Looks to be a male and 2 female, one looks to be pregnant. Already going to town on the hair algae. Between them and the excel, I should hopefully not have to look at algae covered plants very soon!
FB045CEA-AB4C-4D6D-A068-52DC7F9B6AFC.jpeg011BBD2F-83B9-462F-894E-A57A280B2ED8.jpeg

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
have you had to trim the beaks yet? or any of the foods keeping it trimmed down?

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
have you had to trim the beaks yet? or any of the foods keeping it trimmed down?
Haven’t trimmed the beaks yet, the fish just seem too small. Seems like the food is doing enough now, but I can clearly see teeth on all. They don’t seem to go crazy for any of the foods that help with beaks though ?

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Haven’t trimmed the beaks yet, the fish just seem too small. Seems like the food is doing enough now, but I can clearly see teeth on all. They don’t seem to go crazy for any of the foods that help with beaks though ?
only ever kept one - always wanted a lil herd of them, sedated the one i had and attempted beak trim - chickened out and barley revived the lil dude ? - mine would eat pond snails

GL with your crew there!

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
only ever kept one - always wanted a lil herd of them, sedated the one i had and attempted beak trim - chickened out and barley revived the lil dude ? - mine would eat pond snails

GL with your crew there!
Thanks! I’ve been loving them so far! Definitely try another group when you get the space!
I would think that in a large enough tank with enough live foods (mostly shrimp) to the point that they can reproduce as fast as they are eaten it would be possible to keep from having to trim their beaks. How else do they do it in the wild?!

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Well, tanks got ich, so I’ve been treating for that. The fish don’t mind the salt and raised temp, in fact, I’ve never seen some of them act better!
Plants not so much, losing my aponogeton (should come back when it’s done) and some hornwort (I’ve got so much I wouldn’t know). Algae is all dying off though!
Saw some ich cysts on a puffer, but I’d assume that’s just due to the ich not being dead yet.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Much of the hornwort survived, so that is back like nothing happened.
The aponogeton was gone for a while, but I’ve noticed little sprouts over the past few days:
438A50D0-BE79-4346-884A-D284754379DD.jpeg

Reactions: xenacanth9
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store