Dechlorinator nah?? or yah???

do you use water conditioners for chlorine??

• yes

Votes: 78 80.4%
  • no

Votes: 19 19.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
I know from personal experience that my water will kill the fish. I was doing water changes on two tanks once and filled up one tank back up without adding dechlor yet. I started to syphon the other tank thinking that I would add the dechlor in a few minutes. Those few minutes turned into about 5 minutes before I turned around and saw all the fish at the bottom dying. I quickly added Prime and started swishing the water around in circles with my arm in the tank. I still lost 2 Redhooks, a Filament barb and 2 Datnoids. The other fish survived but I now know my water here, if untreated, kills fish quickly.

Mystus Redtail

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Fishing in Wisconsin
balton777;2462725; said:
I know from personal experience that my water will kill the fish. I was doing water changes on two tanks once and filled up one tank back up without adding dechlor yet. I started to syphon the other tank thinking that I would add the dechlor in a few minutes. Those few minutes turned into about 5 minutes before I turned around and saw all the fish at the bottom dying. I quickly added Prime and started swishing the water around in circles with my arm in the tank. I still lost 2 Redhooks, a Filament barb and 2 Datnoids. The other fish survived but I now know my water here, if untreated, kills fish quickly.

Do you drink that stuff? Ewww, I wouldn't want to shower in that. Doe's it glow at night by any chance?

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
nc_nutcase makes a very good point on the "decades of science" comment. i personally dont know about the ins and outs of water treatment. but i do think its arrogant to claim that a companies product is useless when their whole business is dealing with fish health and wellbeing. especially when you have no proof about the particular product mentioned. and to claim that a product does not work and just masks the metals is a very dangerous comment to make and im sure tetras lawyers may be interested in the slanderous comments made about their particular product. making defamatory statements is a very dangerous game to start playing.

your trying to have a debate about the rights and wrongs of dechlorinator yet when your theories are challenged by a nations laws you state "but about this I quote Tom Green "I know damn right!!" " you cant have a sensible debate with someone who thinks they know all about something. no one knows everything even if they work in a trade for 50 years their is always somehting new to learn about it.

ericifish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2008
Florida
when i do water changes i do add a water conditioner, but i will say that when i do about a 25% change with straight tap water it doesnt seem to harm my fish at all. but i wouldnt do more than 25% without it

duke33

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 18, 2007
WV
I use it, yes. I don't drink city water. I am not going to force my fish to live in it. And to answer someones question Prime is made by Seachem as a water conditioner.

uncwnells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Wilmington, NC
Who waits 15 minutes to add dechlor? Rediculous. Maybe up there in Canadia you have pristine glaciar water at your disposal but down here in the real world we pollute the heck out of our water!

jowens

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 6, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Chago09, the tone of your posts is arrogant and condescending, so don't be surprised if the tone of some responses don't meet the criteria of "big boy talk" or whatever.

I also have anecdotal evidence that my local tapwater is not healthy for fish. I once put a 6" male mota into a quarentine tank full of tapwater that I forgot to dechlorinate. It clamped up and sat at the bottom until I figured out my mistake. It almost immediately perked up and began acting normally once I added Prime.

I am also willing to bet that certain species of fish are more sensitive to Chlorine than others, particularly those that encounter stable water conditions in their native habitat, rift lake fish and reef fish for example.

orbit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2008
Michigan
Okay. I voted NO cause I do NOT use anything in my aquariums after a water change. If you have Africans they need harder water and then I would say if you do NOT have wellwater but City water use a buffer for hardner. Thats it...

I do NOT have Africans. And I live in the City.

What % of a water change are you guys/girls doing? And how offten? If you're doing them regularly you don't need to add or subtract chemicals from you're tap water. The water in the aquarium is concentrated with fish bio and won't be damaged.

Now.... I do know from my LPS that some areas are "nastier" with the tap water. They have to treat thiers for 24hrs before they can use it. But they teat the crap out of everything too.

This is harder to explain than I thought! LOL

orbit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2008
Michigan
jowens;2462793; said:
Chago09, the tone of your posts is arrogant and condescending, so don't be surprised if the tone of some responses don't meet the criteria of "big boy talk" or whatever.

I also have anecdotal evidence that my local tapwater is not healthy for fish.
I do believe that some Cities/Townships have "bad" water. I agree.

But I would say things like the top line here its what causes issues.

High City Rida

C.R.E.A.M.
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2008
In the air and I ain't comin down!
I voted no- But there is a nitch to this. I keep CICHLA and do 75% W/C three to four times a week. I very rarely use PRIME and I don't use anything else other then Episom salt. I only use these two product's periodicaly like maybe once every three months and very low amount's of both. I very rarely use the Prime in all my tanks. So for the majority of the year I use straight tap water right into the tank's. I will say that over the years I have come to understand that if you condition your fish for the enviroment they will be living in that you can get away with just about anything. I do believe because of the large quanity's of water being exchanged in my tank's that all my Cichlids have become accoustom to the water I supply straight from the tap. I use Prime when there is signs of distress and I only have seen that when tearing a tank completely down to move to another location in the house. Other then that my routine WC is with out Prime. Or any dechlorinator. And Stress coat is for the slime coat of the fish. The fishes slime coat is like us producing spit. And I don't think any of us having the correct conditions (WATER) have any problems producing spit. So I bet that our fish don't have a problem producing slime coat. Now I am not saying don't go get all the chemicals that they sell in the store and I am not knocking any of them. I JUST WONT BE using any of the crap they sell. I use what i fell is benifical for our fishe's needs. PRIME /PRAZIPRO/MELAFLEX obviously because these products do work and in case of an emergency you will need these on hand. But I wouldn't use any of the above consistantly in any of my tanks and I would only use the MED's if a Cichlid is truely needing them. Of course this is my opinion and my view.

Is anyone else around here changing that much water in any of there tanks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store