Dechlorinator nah?? or yah???

do you use water conditioners for chlorine??

• yes

Votes: 78 80.4%
  • no

Votes: 19 19.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chago09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
Ontario
High City Rida;2463348; said:
Which fish are you reffering to? And keep in mind I have 36 cichlid's! And you know I may have a few your speaking of. I am just curious. And of course I am not speaking about Discus.

LOL funny you should mention discus

Discus I have raised and sold like if we count honestly probably atleast 3000. Serioulsy LOL I had 4 pairs making about 40-50 sold fish per batch, which was usually monthly. I would pull them out and in about a month they would spawn again, while the others were growing in grow outs. I had 4x40 gallon tanks for the pairs and had 8 x 55 gallons for grow outs. To keep the water chemistry the same all 12 tanks were drilled and plumbed into one wet/dry which I built. It was basically a 5 foot tall plastic drawer, which I removed each drawer and made holes in the bottom so the water would flow down. I filled each drawer with pot scrubbies, sponges, bioballs etc. It worked awesome. Anyways this system had 600 gallons of display tank water and probably roughly 50 gallons for the wet/dry. Breeding discus and growing them out so they become nice perfectly rounded shape, with proportionate eyes requires absolutly zero stunting. To make this possible I would change the water every single day. I did this for like 3 years, hence why I got rid of it all.

Anyways my water changes were every day about 300 gallons. Which most discus breeders criticized me for saying it should be even more than 50% per day. Some of the really high end breeders do 100% wc everyday. I've seen them take soo much water out that the fish is laying on its side in a little bit of water, then they refill it. Anyways moral of the story is, I was doing this all along on tap water. I had a plumbed line in each tank so I could remove half of every tank straight into a floor drain in the basement. Then simply got out the python and filled em all up.

Of course I lost fry all the time but thats standard with raising fry of any species. I had a great success rate with doing this, although stopped only because I was doing it as a hobby and not as a business and it was costing me tooo much. Now I just have a 125 discuss community tank and theres "no sex allowed" LOL

Chago09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
Ontario
cchhcc;2463395; said:
So where do you stand now Chago? Sounds like you've backed off your original position.......?

LOL ahahahah did you read the thread???? or just thought you'd say something annoying LOL

I shouldn't do this but I will because I feel bad for you. I apologized for using the word scam. So I said in a earlier post that perhaps there is a exceptable amount of chlorine, which is why perhaps conditioner is not ALWAYS 100% needed. A few people from Colorado say they do 75% water changes multiple times a week on a lot of tanks and they have never had a problem not using chems. One guy in texas says the slightest bit of water kills his tank right away without chems. So I think its safe to say that there is a limit. Could the fact they didn't add chems just bbe the scape goat for what killed the fish??? maybe?? I don't know?? neither do they, neither do you. What we do know, is that there are a lot of people like me keeping fish successfully without using any chems. Which obvioulsy means there is some other variable that we don't know.

So to answer your question has my position changed? well I have toned down the passion and harsh words although I am still on the same side of the tracks.

Thanks for asking though, go ahead run along

High City Rida

C.R.E.A.M.
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2008
In the air and I ain't comin down!
Chago09;2463398; said:
LOL funny you should mention discus

Of course I lost fry all the time but thats standard with raising fry of any species. I had a great success rate with doing this, although stopped only because I was doing it as a hobby and not as a business and it was costing me tooo much. Now I just have a 125 discuss community tank and theres "no sex allowed" LOL
Man you rock! :headbang2 I have had very unusual success with breeding as well in my tanks. Of course I am not as savy with the technical jargon as some of the expert's we have seen here today but hey I am thinking outside the box as well as you are and we both seem to have been successful so I think it's safe to say were marching to the beat of a different drummer! And and the Water boy said Mama Said it was becuase of our Medulla Oblongata! :ROFL: (Yes I work in the Medical field) so I can attest to this statement . :ROFL::cry:

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
Not reading all ten pages....Were chlorimines addressed? Scam? Prime is the only product I use in my tanks.. I agree with simplifying the hobby, but to advise widespread stoppage of using dechlor due to it being a scam, is the stupidest thing I have read today....No need to tell me to run along, cause I'll flame right here with you :)

High City Rida

C.R.E.A.M.
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2008
In the air and I ain't comin down!
bigspizz;2463476; said:
Not reading all ten pages....Were chlorimines addressed? Scam? Prime is the only product I use in my tanks.. I agree with simplifying the hobby, but to advise widespread stoppage of using dechlor due to it being a scam, is the stupidest thing I have read today....No need to tell me to run along, cause I'll flame right here with you :)

Spizzz is in the house!

Don't be to hard on him Spizz I think he got miss quoted. ;)

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Haha Spizz! :ROFL:

Here was my first post before I was told to run along and let the big kids play!

cchhcc;2462395; said:
You're promoting some dangerous information there Chago09. Your water may be lightly chlorinated, and your experience MAY be good with your practices, but that isn't the case for most of us.

You should not make blanket statements without knowing the makeup of everyone's tap water. Many of us have water with chloramine, not simple chlorine. Chloramine does not dissipate as does chlorine and MUST be treated prior to use.

Regardless, I think your experience with dissipation rates of chlorine is unique and is definitely NOT the case in most situations. Generally, most tap water needs a solid 24 hours with aeration to dissipate most of the chlorine (and, again, that assumes you have chlorine only, not chloramine).

You also ignore the affects even brief periods of exposure to chlorine has on the gill structure of your fish. Sublethal levels or chlorine can and do affect your fish whether or not you accept it. Eventually, the side effects can build up and dramatically shorten the life of your pets.

There is much information on the net about this issue, and I hope you research it.

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
cchhcc;2462395; said:
You're promoting some dangerous information there Chago09. Your water may be lightly chlorinated, and your experience MAY be good with your practices, but that isn't the case for most of us.

You should not make blanket statements without knowing the makeup of everyone's tap water. Many of us have water with chloramine, not simple chlorine. Chloramine does not dissipate as does chlorine and MUST be treated prior to use.

Regardless, I think your experience with dissipation rates of chlorine is unique and is definitely NOT the case in most situations. Generally, most tap water needs a solid 24 hours with aeration to dissipate most of the chlorine (and, again, that assumes you have chlorine only, not chloramine).

You also ignore the affects even brief periods of exposure to chlorine has on the gill structure of your fish. Sublethal levels or chlorine can and do affect your fish whether or not you accept it. Eventually, the side effects can build up and dramatically shorten the life of your pets.

There is much information on the net about this issue, and I hope you research it.

This is exactly the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store