Delhezi/Senegal advice (AND MY LOWBOY SETUP!!)

CrazyKoiCracker

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2018
So, first things first, finally have the lowboy running and thanks to everyone who gave advice when I asked months ago. Zoomed lowboy drilled with an oversized Eclipse overflow, into an RS-75 sump, skinner compartment full of ceramic rings and some floss, with 300w titanium heater and 375 gph return pump into a aquavitro stainless steel return. Quarter inch acrylic cut to size to make it escape proof and a 36” fluval 3.0 mounted about ten inches above the water.
Stocking is two Delhezi and one Senegal, had two Senegal but one didn’t make it through quarantine. There is also a Veiltail Bristlenose pleco (yes, I know. Ancistrus seem to be the least likely to go for slime coat, although it’s not unheard of. I’m watching closely, keeping it well fed, and have also provided aged driftwood, already covered in algae, if I see a white spot on any of the polys, I’ve got a guppy tank covered in diatom algae that he’ll like just fine. )...also a spotted Raphael cat and my yellow tux guppy overflow, so if (when) they become snacks, there’s no risk like there is with feeders.
With all that said, I have a question. The Senegal has gotten his pectoral fin bitten off by one of the dels. The Sen is smaller, maybe three inch’s to the delhezi’s four, so there’s no way they could eat him. But do polys establish a hierarchy like other fish? Is this likely to happen again? Should I drop the sen down into the sump to heal? Give me advice, great Bichir gurus.

D1470E90-73C7-4CCF-9B16-C8D96C0E6C09.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
There’s a hierarchy. Gotta wait it out and let it get established. In the meantime watch the senegalus’s fins. If it gets worse then move the Senegalus. It’s a waiting game at this point.

By the way is there a cover on the tank? Didn’t see a mention of it. If not then add one.

CrazyKoiCracker

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2018
There’s a hierarchy. Gotta wait it out and let it get established. In the meantime watch the senegalus’s fins. If it gets worse then move the Senegalus. It’s a waiting game at this point.

By the way is there a cover on the tank? Didn’t see a mention of it. If not then add one.
Yeah, got some acrylic and cut it right. Got a feeding hole covered with an acrylic strip too. The acrylics starting to sag, even those it was 1/4” inch cast acrylic, I’m gonna have to screw some steel braces into it. But otherwise it’s solid.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Yeah, got some acrylic and cut it right. Got a feeding hole covered with an acrylic strip too. The acrylics starting to sag, even those it was 1/4” inch cast acrylic, I’m gonna have to screw some steel braces into it. But otherwise it’s solid.
Put a egg crate light diffuser cut to size and have it act as a support between the acrylic and the tank frame. The acrylic will be 1/4 above the tank though

CrazyKoiCracker

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2018
Put a egg crate light diffuser cut to size and have it act as a support between the acrylic and the tank frame. The acrylic will be 1/4 above the tank though
Pros and Cons to that the way I see it, the gap the acrylic creates will prevent condensation from forming on the acrylic, which is great. But it will also allow more heat to escape and my electric bill jumped $40 when I hooked up that heater. So much surface area on a relatively small volume of water leaves a lot of area for heat lose. I may do this anyway because it’s nice to be able to look from above, but I’m partial to a stainless steel brace. Idk, it’s definitely a good idea, thank you.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Looks great, i like the setup and the substrate, what kind and where did you get the sand?
Agreed tank looks great. Love the sand what is it.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
As mentioned there will often be a heirarchy initially. It should settle. Occasionally you'll get a jerk poly but I don't know that many Dels on the forum who have been consistent jerks.

Excited for you and the tank! Can we get some close ups of the fish? What other stock are you planning on adding?

It's really unlikely that your BN pleco will become an issue. Would love to see pics of him as well. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store