Detritus worms and crayfish, and crayfish has dark spot

Pterrys Mom

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2017
Wakefield, RI
Hello,
We have one crayfish (grade 3 science class, came home to us in Dec 2016) in a 10G tank with a water filter. We give him newt and salamander sinking pellets (all the local pet store had since so many grade 3 kids suddenly got crayfish!).

He (Pterry, named for the prehistoric marine scorpion Pterygotis) has molted once in mid-February. Since then, I have noticed a small dark patch developing in front of his left back leg and it has been getting bigger. It didn't seem to be affecting him, but recently he has been eating less well, and spending more time hanging out in his hideouts.

This morning, I noticed many little white specks on the inside of our crayfish tank and was very worried that these could be some sort of parasite that had developed inside Pterry. Some quick research indicates that they are probably detritus worms. They are super tiny, 1-2 mm.

Reserach also indicates this means the tank needs cleaning, which may be because Pterry doesn't seem to be eating as much. Maybe he is heading towards another molt because of the spot on his exoskeleton?

I will be doing his weekly 25% water change and vacuum of poop and food waste on the bottom of the tank tomorrow. The detritus worms will hopefully head back into the gravel. I will also check the filter. The light hasn't flashed saying it needs cleaning, but I will check anyway.

How big will detritus worms get? I am rather worm-phobic, which is crazy since I garden!

I will try to post a picture of the dark spot on his underside. I brought pictures to the pet store, but they couldn't figure it out. My water has been tested for nitrites and PH and shell hardening stuff and everything was well within limits.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sarah aka Pterry's Mom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store