Diagnose the doo

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
Do you pre-soak the pellets before feeding? They absorb water and expand quite a bit and can cause fatal bowel obstructions.

AWildMarowak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2018
I do not, they are relatively small plus, while he is eating he probably expells 1/3 of the pellet through his gills. Messy messy boy. I just got home after work and he’s super lively and ready to party. I’ve got some focus/metro soaked bloodworms in the freezer for dinner. I threw a couple pellets in to see if he would eat them and he gobbled them up like a little piggy.

Seems like what I’m doing is working, going to continue to soak bloodworms and treat the water periodically. I appreciate all the feedback guys, thanks.

AWildMarowak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2018
So, I’ve finished off the bottle of metroplex I had purchased. Overall he’s looking pretty good, haven’t been seeing white poops or anything like that. It’s hard for me to tell if he is back to 100% though so I’m wondering if I should pick up another bottle of metroplex and continue to dose the tank for precautionary measures.

Does this seem like a good idea? Any harm that could come from it?

I’ve been doing daily water changes and have also started salting the tank.

Thanks in advance.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
If he is eating, get him to eat NLS Hexshield. You can also make your own batch by making an epsom salt solution (1/2 cup of distilled water + 3/4 teaspoon of epsom salt), fully saturate a floating pellet, then add the Seachem focus with Seachem metroplex. Drop one pellet at a time to make sure that he eats the pellet. I do find gel based foods the best way to add this mixture of medication.

I forgot to mention that the epsom salt is used to kill Spironucleus Vortens in the digestion system, which generally causes hexamita.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store