Nov 7, 2018
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
<10ppm
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Not sure if this is the right place for questions on diet/feeding while sick but I’m worried about the health of our fish, one of whom is now SICK w/Ich and Im reinspired to fight again for them. I really want to make sure he’s (and all of them) are getting the best care and

we’ve had an ongoing Debate about what and how often to feed our fish. We have 2 freshwater tanks. Mix of real & artificial plants but none edible.

125g
single 5-6” goldfish approx 7 years old
15” pleco (we think salicin) 7 years old

35/37g
Single 1-1/2” black moor, less than a year old

The debate:
One of us is absolutely adamant they be fed 1x daily, comm fish flakes/pellets in tiny amounts only. This is also the person responsible for water changes & cleaning the tank (as I’m disabled) and who has had the most experience w/fish, growing up w/a large backyard koi pond

as for me, I push for 2-3 times a day, as much as they can eat in 20’min. Freshgreens, fruit, along w/flakes and pellets. Considering adding seaweed ‘sheets’ but they won’t attach to my pleco feed

I’ve read that we should also add (in addition to the above) crustaceans, frozen shrimp from the grocery store/dinner, (raw or cooked?) and even chicken and beef?! Many also suggest supplement solution & to soak dried flakes & pellets. Anyone know what kind of supplements? Link so I can buy them?

the other person believes the fresh food is what brought the parasite since we haven’t introduced anyone/anything to the water supply.
we all want our fish healthy and well. But he has hinted we should stop fresh food altogether, at least while he’s sick

Thanks in advance.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
With most fish pellets are okay as a staple, especially goldfish, so you probably only need to offer frozen as a treat. I personally feed my fish every other day and they are doing fine. Every day is good. Young fish like the moor could take 2 times a day.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
All fish on your list can have the same diet. What some goldfish feeding advice leaves out is in the wild or in a pond temperatures vary widely and temperature greatly affects how much or how often they can or should be fed. Since many living outdoors experience a cold period where they eat very little, some people recommend fasting them from time to time. Certainly, if they're getting fat, I'd fast them or feed very lightly for a time.

What you can feed goldfish, what some people do feed goldfish, or what they're willing to eat should not dictate their diet imo. Some will eat just about anything, but it doesn't make it healthy for them and because of this there are some goldfish keepers I would ignore.

If it was me I'd use a premium goldfish specific flake or pellet for their regular diet. Treats or supplements to this should be occasional, not daily. There's no way in the world I'd feed them beef or chicken in ANY form. It would be begging for health issues, digestive problems, water pollution, or potential pathogens. And because someone says they do it, even if they seem to get away with it, doesn't make it a good thing for your fish-- growing goldfish as fast as possible doesn't equate with good health.

There's quite a mix of goldfish advice out there, some good, but some of it stupid imo. Imo the link below is reasonable for the basics and it comes from a veterinary source. (Note, when it says 'meaty products' can be an occasional treat, think aquatic sources and think aquarium specific products, not market shrimp and certainly not beef or chicken.)
https://cafishvet.com/fish-tanks/what-do-you-feed-goldfish/

Reactions: jjohnwm and Deadeye

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I push for 2-3 times a day, as much as they can eat in 20’min.
If i'm reading and understanding this correctly, this says your fish have an all they can eat in 20 mins buffet.......3 times per day!!! Knowing how aquarium fish are gluttons anyway, this seems like severe overfeeding, taking into consideration also that your 15" pleco and your 6" goldfish are adults.

I'm afraid i'm with the dude who says once per day on this one.

And feeding terrestrial based vegetable matter is not as good as feeding aquatic based vegetable matter such as seaweed and algae based products.

So basically, imo, feed once per day, and slowly switch over to aquatic based greenery, as well as a good quality pellet.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Because in nature, fish live in a feast or famine world, they do not have an eating shut off valve, so when food is available they will continue to eat, whether its good for them or not.
So the idea that feeding because they appear to want food, is not always a good idea.
Once per day is plenty, in fact with my fish (also omnivores) I feed for two days, and not feed the 3rd, etc, etc.
When I lived in the north, I kept goldfish and koi in ponds, and because they froze over in winter, had to bring then in Dec thru Mar, and during this winter into a 400 gallon kiddy pool in an unheated basement,(when water dropped to 50'F and lower, I did not feed at all for those months.
And mine remained very healthy.
1613232863511.png
1613233280140.png

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
right now we do flakes AM for the goldfish
Pellets PM for the pleco (Goldie steals them)
Fruit or veg 1-2x per week apples, broccoli, zucchini, strawberries, watermelon, skinned peas

watermelon, strawberries and broccoli are the favorites. This is pretty typical for plecos though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store