difference in paroon/ id shark?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Very informative. But the 'size' comparison are wrong on the 'paroon's behalf. You are using picture of Mekong Giant Catfish @ Pangasianodon gigas. Also, IME temperature don't matter for both as long as it is kept between 24-30°c
The photo is indeed well known and is of the record gigas but the paroons are said to reach the same or comparable length and probably weight too. Which still surprises me as I don't recall ever seeing a photo proof of it as we have seen with the gigas / MGC.

Anyone seen it or can fetch it or point to it??

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
There's reference number on max size on fishbase, they're true size but mostly not documented. To find prove, need to go in the Thailand's playground & search em. These are the biggest I've found

FB_IMG_1560273212125.jpg

Top left (1st photo), I think that is the biggest paroon to be taken picture, the head is huge. Old photo, IDK the detail, I don't understand siamese.

FB_IMG_1560273381781.jpg

FB_IMG_1560273389049.jpg

These were capture in Laos on July 2018, this one truly freakishly huge but compared to the first photo, the head look smaller

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
In my experience you can tell the difference even when small by the width the of the mouth, Sanitwongsei (paroon) have a much wider mouth (full width of the head), they have shark like fins ie. Pointed, and they "never" stop swimming, constantly on the move at speed. I found them to be faster growing than any iridescent shark (usually just labled pengasius in the uk). Iridescent sharks tend to be slower swimming, more cruising around, although this is easier to tell difference when larger. In the UK the paroon is sold as the high fin pengasius.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store