Dirt bottom planted tank - advice?

Eclipse390

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2011
Hudson Valley, NY
I'm planning on setting up a 68 gal. aquarium soon as a dirt bottom tank

I have several smaller planted tanks with plant specific substrates (CaribSea, EcoComplete) but have never ventured into a dirt bottom tank.
I know that I need a potting soil with no added fertilizers - what brands do you suggest?
I would top it off with pool filter sand.

Are there any things to watch out for?
What is the easiest step-by-step process to plant everything? Plant before I put on the sand & fill with water? After?

I have MTS in all my other planted tanks, would they be okay to survive in a dirted tank?

Any other advice would also be greatly appreciated!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’ve done a dirtied tank a while ago. Used a organic soil and worked. Any organic soil will work.

BizTodd

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
I am setting up a 6'*2' dirted bottom aquarium. I bought a mixture of organic top soil and in ground organic compost.

Soak all of it over night in a tub and scoop out the floating debris. Let dry completely, and then sift it to get the good soil and remove small twigs and rocks. I am using Red Mexican Pottery Clay (Source of Iron) and Osmocos+ to make root tabs which I will also add to the soil.

If you don't wash it first, expect a lot of algae. I also suggest you throw a bunch of floating hornwort to eat up the high nutrient levels for a month or so.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Advice above is good. Lots of water changes and rapidly growing plants will help combat the initial surge in nutrients. Best of luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store