dirt planted tanks? and lighting

is the Finnex planted 24/7 a good light for growing most plants?

• Total voters

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
I'd personally rather keep a substrate I can actually work with and one where I can control what's in it. Every "plant" substrate has a finite lifespan to it.
I've not done "difficult" plants, but I think I'd rather drag my arse through broken glass than use dirt in my substrate. Sand frustrates me. I couldn't imagine dirt. I ran Caribsea FloraMax substrate in a little planted 10g for a few years. Super dusty stuff.

The Finnex 24/7 fixture will work, but like said, you'll have to gear your setup and plants to work with it.

jonah h2o

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
san diego California
thanks guys, I was going to do aqua soil not literal dirt if thats what some of you meant. in an I deal world I would do a 48x18x18 tank and 4 kessil tuna suns (dream).

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ If you are going to dream, might as well dream big and add on all the bells and whistles while you're at it ;)

jonah h2o

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
san diego California
yeah, I've considered selling my big tank (not replacing it as I had planed on doing) and spending all money on this. ill keep updated once I get this tank

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ honestly, i wouldnt sell your large tank just to do a planted tank, because chances are your first tank may fail miserably and really drive you mad (i know mind did)...

But if you're willing to keep learning from your mistakes then it can eventually become quite enjoyable especially the aquascaping part...

Reactions: fisheatfish

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
I agree with Homer. I have a second tank with central/SA cichlids & a school of clown loaches in which I pay very little attention to. My focus has been so much on the planted tank. Dialing in on what plants need or lacking what nutrients and fighting algae. I just learned another use for hydrogen peroxide (took care of my hair algae issue).

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
I don't know when it comes to a dirted tank I've had great success with Mineralized Topsoil, yes it was a pain in the arse having to soak then dry the dirt 3 times over, but in the end it was worth it because the process brings out the nutrients to immediately be available to the plants.

I've had success with Aquasoil Amazonia, had success with all natural kitty litter, had success with first layer pure laterite capped with gravel... But my main substrate of choice is (70) flourite / (30) floramax mix...

I have a specific way I set up my planted tanks... I use empty capsules each filled with only csm+b, some with only muriate of potash (0-0-60 potassium), some with only osmocote+ buried deep into the substrate and I flood the tank and let it run for a week. This floods the tank with nutrients for the substrate to soak up, and after I add plants to the tank after a week there's enough nutrients to get the plants started off.

After the plants have in the tank for a week then I start my EI dosing regime, and by this time the plants have started showing new growth and the dosing regime keeps the tank going with fresh nutrients!!!

Reactions: fisheatfish
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store