Discus ID

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
As far as stendkers versus asians, the quality really probably depends on how much you're willing to spend, and how old/big the discus are when you buy them. When you buy juvies, they are cheaper not only because they are smaller and have not required as much care, water changes and food (basically resources), they are also cheaper because it is unknown how they will look when older/bigger. When you buy a larger discus in the 5"+ range, they cost a lot more but you already know how good they look. All of that is part of the price increase for the larger discus.

So, you can buy 6 at a time at $25 each for $150, and you will probably get a ten least one good one out of the bunch, then buy 6 more and repeat, until you get a group of some really nice, top notch discus. Or, you can fork over $600-$1000 up front and start with a larger group that you know are all already very good looking fish.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I know, the other 9 actually have worse peppering or almost no "checkering" at all. Pretty much just a plain yellow-orange with faint spots. Super dissapointed with my last couple orders from hans. I've actually done it both ways. I've paid the big bucks for adults and buy a bunch of 3 to 4 inch and grow out. I prefer buying young ones to grow out these days cause I can recoup some of the money. Plus now that I found a good source for Asain bred discus, I'm getting a higher percentage of high quality discus when they grow out.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I know, the other 9 actually have worse peppering or almost no "checkering" at all. Pretty much just a plain yellow-orange with faint spots. Super dissapointed with my last couple orders from hans. I've actually done it both ways. I've paid the big bucks for adults and buy a bunch of 3 to 4 inch and grow out. I prefer buying young ones to grow out these days cause I can recoup some of the money. Plus now that I found a good source for Asain bred discus, I'm getting a higher percentage of high quality discus when they grow out.
Where do you get your asians from? Everywhere I've found them, they are a lot more expensive than the stendkers.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I hava a friend who imports them from Asia. They typically are a bit more depending on the farm and also the variety. Usually gonna pay top dollar for eruptions, ring leopards and stuff like that. A lot of the older more common varieties can be had for good prices

Yoda1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
UK
Well that's the thing.

With Asians you buy an adult and you know what you are getting.
Even if it costs a bit more.

You can buy Stendker youngsters and grow them out yourself.
Costs less, to buy, but then it is more pot luck with what you get.
And also, I have found that the youngsters can be more susceptible to flagellate problems.

Lukemitchell

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2017
Tamworth
;) Well 'Lukemitchell' as you can see opinions vary & one persons passion is another ones poison. I'm far from the expert that some of these folks are & I've only been somewhat successful w/ Stendkers. ( http://diskuszucht-stendker.de/en/Haendler/Haendler_Ausland/ ) In all the years I've known him, my guy Hans hasn't steered me wrong. Again that's just me.

Good luck w/ your search. "T"
Lovely fish pal and can I ask what's with the "T" ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store