Discus tank mates

Lee Fox

Feeder Fish
Feb 15, 2016
Hi, im currently in the process of setting up a 600 Litre discus tank, im going to hopefully get between 8 - 10 discus fish but im unsure of what other fish to keep with my discus, i already know of the usual tank mates, cardinals, plecs, rams ect. I was hoping somebody could tell me some unusual / uncommon discus tank mates. Thank you for any suggestions!

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
I just added a dozen black emperor tetras to my discus tank. Best group of tankmates Ive ever had with discus. Really unique and super active. They school all over the tank together. Check out this site....www.discusmadness.com He sells them on his site. I went to his warehouse and got them. Im gonna grab some more in a few weeks.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
I love my Rummy Nose Tetras! I have 2 Cories, some Lemon Tetras, and 2 Surinamensis coming out of qt soon :)

Reactions: tlindsey

typicalalex1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2011
England, Kent
Apistogramma cichlids, a large shoal of cories, dwarf gouramis, hatchet fish and some species of rainbow fish would work. Some rainbow fish can't tolerate the higher temperature that discus require.

Reactions: tlindsey

moneygetter1

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2005
NYC
:cool: Beside the assorted tetras I also have striped & spotted Raphael cats. "T"

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
I keep mine with angels, rainbows, roseline sharks, a festivum, a redtail shark, kribensis, a pair of chocolate cichlids, congo tetras, etc...with no issues.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store