Discus Tank

robchris

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Simi Valley
Hello,
I have been on many forums looking at everyones pictures of their discus tanks and it just looks like everyone who has a discus tank does not have any other fish with them. Is this the correct way of keeping a discus tank? In my tank I have six discus and 50+ other fish in there with them such as tetras and other non aggressive schooling fish. Can anyone give me a suggestion on what I should do?

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
I have a friend that keep angels and discus together. He also has 40 or 50 neon tetras with them aswell.

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
Many “pro” Discus keepers tend to keep some rare strains and/or wild Discus, they usually require special water conditions such as very low pH and very high water temperatures. Most other fish manage to move faster thus steal food from Discus, and Discus tend to get spooked easy.

Many people like to keep couple of schooling fish with them, Neon tetras are popular.

What size tank do you have?

jdllme

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2006
Georgia
mature discus are very slow eaters while tetras and angels eat very quickly also some diseases can be passed on from angels to discus

robchris

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Simi Valley
Vitaliy said:
Many “pro” Discus keepers tend to keep some rare strains and/or wild Discus, they usually require special water conditions such as very low pH and very high water temperatures. Most other fish manage to move faster thus steal food from Discus, and Discus tend to get spooked easy.

Many people like to keep couple of schooling fish with them, Neon tetras are popular.

What size tank do you have?

I have a 125gallon tank. I do notice that the other fish move faster then them but I just mainly feed the smaller faster fish first and then feed the discus. I just hope this does not lead into a problem.

Eric L

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2006
washington
My discus are piranaha like when it comes to food. They snap up anything that hits the water. And I keep an arrowana and stingrays with my discus, I used to keep angels but I moved to my community tank

Eric L

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2006
washington
The smallest discus I own is 3" SL and the aro is prolly 8"-10" SL, I havnt measured him formally because he is skittish and stays away from the front of the glass when I am around though.

Opiate

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Where eva theres Cichla!!!
the best tetras to keep with discus are rummy nose and harlequins!! if u want catfish go with corydoras n bristlenose...pictus work well as well...just remember to do a 75% water change weekly...and have many flat surfaces for them to lay on...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store