discus tips?

romosoldier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2008
USA
anyone got any tips on keeping discus and stuff that might help their health. anything will do, i wanted to buy some discus but i know they arent the easiest fish to keep so im looking into getting some but i dont want to be clueless of their needs if im going to get them.

golfhacker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
usa
Here's a site with lots of articles on how to care for discus.

http://article.discusnews.com/

Some basic tips: Keep them in warm(82 degrees), acidic water(6.0 - 6.5). 1 adult fish per 10 gallons of water. They are schooling fish and like to be in groups of 5 or more. They need clean water. Do at least two 20% water changes a week. The amount of water changes depends on your stocking level, your filtration and the types of food you feed. Just keep the tank clean and don't overfeed. Follow these simple tips and you'll have no problems taking care of discus. And finally, start out with healthy fish.

halfmoon_bay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2008
Oakdale
first all buy discus from someone reputable and they know what they are talking about. lfs are ok but I wouldn't go that route. I have been told if its your first time getting discus buy them at around 50cent size or so not adults either. ask what kind of water perimeter the seller has and try to get as close as possible.... always keep your water clean ...water changes and adequate food supply... good luck

hillbilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Western North Carolina
romosoldier;2615870; said:
anyone got any tips on keeping discus and stuff that might help their health. anything will do, i wanted to buy some discus but i know they arent the easiest fish to keep so im looking into getting some but i dont want to be clueless of their needs if im going to get them.
Before you buy any discus, research as much as you can about discus. Read, read, read. I see on the forums every day that someone has purchased discus, and ran into problems because they didn't know this or that. Discus are not hard to keep, they just have a few different demands than some other fish. Clean water is the most important one. Now that I have been keeping them for a few years, I cringe when I hear people say they only change water in their tanks with other species every two weeks. I'm thinking, your fish live in a sewer. :ROFL:

romosoldier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2008
USA
Thanks for the info everyone, i was just looking through the threads ive started and ran across this one
since this thread ive looked up and learned alot about discus, and even bought 5 juvenile discus which ive had for almost 2 months now. =)

Fishwhore

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2005
_______
its an adventure......this is my first time also with discus and got 2 pairs to spawn for me within a month of getting them in 7.5+ ph. i bought them as adults... one thing i learned is try to buy discus from a local breeder. if they are good breeders they will breed raise discus in local tap water conditions...makes it easier for wc...mine are in 8.0 ish ph and doing well....

post some pics...id love to see what you got.....thx GL...

smarchant22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2010
San Luis Obispo
i might get slammed for this but i do 1 water change a month for my discus, granted my filter is for a tank twice the size of what i have, but i havnt once ran into any problems

Yoda1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
UK
I would say 2 things.

Do your research first. Discus aren't something to be rushed into.

And also, rather spend a bit extra and buy good quality fish from a reputable seller.

Yoda1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
UK
smarchant22;4978442; said:
i might get slammed for this but i do 1 water change a month for my discus, granted my filter is for a tank twice the size of what i have, but i havnt once ran into any problems
People should do what works for them.
I know others will throw their hands up in horror.
But if it works for you then great.

Out of interest, what are your water parameters (ph and Kh)?

busterbrown

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2009
south lake tahoe
Smarchant22, you might want to pick that water change rate up before your fish get sick. I have a 120gallon with a FX-5 and a eheim 2217 and i do water changes every other day of 60-70%. Your fish may as well live in a sewer man. Water changes are very important with discus and all other fish actually. GIve those guys a good variety of food also. romosoldier id go bare bottom with those juvies, its the easiest way to do it, the more the bare the tank the healthier your discus with will be and the faster they will grow. Juvies need a lot of food also, fed them atleast 5 times a day

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store