Display quality fiberglass monster tanks/ponds

Ponddaddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2019
Hello Mfk !
My first post on here so be gentle.

I’m in the planning stages of starting a tank construction company in Australia. Ill be focusing on plug and play monster tanks using my knowledge of aquaculture and years of trade knowledge to shape and design stunning display tanks.
My question to you is taking everything into account other than water and fish stock. What would some of you pay for a monster tank delivered to your door ?

For reference at the moment the biggest tank designed is 18000 litres and 5meters long.

Would love to know what some of you paid for what tanks and what the general consensus is on this style of tank

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
So basically you're starting up a company designing and making monster fibreglass tanks but you want us to help you decide how much to charge for each tank? Surely your price per tank is governed by cost of raw materials, labour involved, transport costs, packaging, any after care or warranty etc etc, not by a bunch of guys on a forum.

If you just want an idea of what other companies are charging for similar products so you know if you're in the right ball park, then go on line and research prices. But even if you did this it is unlikely you'd be comparing apples with apples because your 18000 litre tank for example might not be as sturdily made or might even be made better than another 18000 litre tank.

Just as an aside, fibreglass tanks are extremely popular, I have a 360g and I love it. When I got mine the woman I spoke to told me their workshop was working flat out to satisfy demand so if you go about things properly there is certainly a good opportunity for you out there.

Good luck.

Reactions: jjohnwm

Ponddaddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2019
Hey mate thanks for the reply. I have all my figures and my pricing sorted already. My question wasn’t so much I want mfk to price it for me. Im looking to find out from my target consumers that being any fishkeeper wanting a huge tank mfk or otherwise would actually pay for their tanks. I know what my products are worth and my bottom dollar it’s more what people are expecting to pay for quality that I’m trying to crack. For instance the cream of the crop best tank on offer is priced at $25000 aud. But if no one is ever going to pay that kind of money to keep fish there would be little point in the endeavour.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Where in Australia are you? I'm in Melbourne myself. I like the idea of a local custom tank builder in the neighbourhood but without being negative I think there is a pretty limited market for huge tanks these days. With water restrictions and electricity costs these days I can't see too many people going much bigger than 6 per 8 foot and even that would be extreme.alos shipping costs could be astronomical to send it from state to state. Maybe if you targeted restraints, hotel lobbies etc and offered a set up and maintenance service it could work.
Sorry to sound negative , don't mean to discourage you, I'm just offering a locals opinion.
As an example a brand new 4 x 2 x 2 glass tank and custom stand, LED light, ehiem filter and heater and gravel cost me $1100AUD delivered. This was around 5 years ago, not sure what prices are like here now.
Good luck with the venture, happy to give any info you need that I can help with.

Ponddaddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2019
Where in Australia are you? I'm in Melbourne myself. I like the idea of a local custom tank builder in the neighbourhood but without being negative I think there is a pretty limited market for huge tanks these days. With water restrictions and electricity costs these days I can't see too many people going much bigger than 6 per 8 foot and even that would be extreme.alos shipping costs could be astronomical to send it from state to state. Maybe if you targeted restraints, hotel lobbies etc and offered a set up and maintenance service it could work.
Sorry to sound negative , don't mean to discourage you, I'm just offering a locals opinion.
As an example a brand new 4 x 2 x 2 glass tank and custom stand, LED light, ehiem filter and heater and gravel cost me $1100AUD delivered. This was around 5 years ago, not sure what prices are like here now.
Good luck with the venture, happy to give any info you need that I can help with.
Hey mate I’m up in Sydney good to see some fellow Aussies on here!
You raise some very good points there. Especially with the limited target audience and demand. I’m hoping to crack the pond market with this style of tank being very sturdy and long lasting for small backyards and patios. So that depending on sales should compensate for the shortfalls in high end tank demand.
Water restrictions are a tricky tightrope where we live. To my knowledge when animal welfare is in question be it a guppy or aro water restrictions do not apply. Purchasing the initial fill required may be required in dire straits. It’s a very hard subject on both sides of the fence.
Energy is the killer. Big tanks, big heater, big lights, big pump.... the list goes on. Being a package sale there are solar options on offer as well as energy efficient equipment utilised in all aspects of design.
Freight I’ve based of worst case using a container base charge. All the products designed are easily able to fit into a standard container. Being a flat rate able to go by rail,road or sea. From what quotes I’ve had it’s reasonable.

Mate I love any opinion negative or otherwise if somone on here could throw somthing at me I don’t have an answer for I’ll be a happy man !
Thanks heaps!

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Hey mate I’m up in Sydney good to see some fellow Aussies on here!
You raise some very good points there. Especially with the limited target audience and demand. I’m hoping to crack the pond market with this style of tank being very sturdy and long lasting for small backyards and patios. So that depending on sales should compensate for the shortfalls in high end tank demand.
Water restrictions are a tricky tightrope where we live. To my knowledge when animal welfare is in question be it a guppy or aro water restrictions do not apply. Purchasing the initial fill required may be required in dire straits. It’s a very hard subject on both sides of the fence.
Energy is the killer. Big tanks, big heater, big lights, big pump.... the list goes on. Being a package sale there are solar options on offer as well as energy efficient equipment utilised in all aspects of design.
Freight I’ve based of worst case using a container base charge. All the products designed are easily able to fit into a standard container. Being a flat rate able to go by rail,road or sea. From what quotes I’ve had it’s reasonable.

Mate I love any opinion negative or otherwise if somone on here could throw somthing at me I don’t have an answer for I’ll be a happy man !
Thanks heaps!
Sounds like you have been very thorough in your research, the solar options sound good. I imagine that would be a good selling point

The large water use seems controversial at the moment with what seems like half the country on fire and a prolonged drought but in 6 months hopefully that won't be an issue anymore. In summer (especially one that's kicked off like this one) people are more conscious of water use, as they should be I guess. In winter in Melbourne it's not as much as a concern.

Do you have any more info or pictures of the setups you will be selling? They sound more high tech and interesting than I first thought.

Ponddaddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2019
Sounds like you have been very thorough in your research, the solar options sound good. I imagine that would be a good selling point

The large water use seems controversial at the moment with what seems like half the country on fire and a prolonged drought but in 6 months hopefully that won't be an issue anymore. In summer (especially one that's kicked off like this one) people are more conscious of water use, as they should be I guess. In winter in Melbourne it's not as much as a concern.

Do you have any more info or pictures of the setups you will be selling? They sound more high tech and interesting than I first thought.
Thankyou. I have tried to be as diligent as possible in planning ahead and having all the bases covered. Knowledge is power my friend.
I have tried to focus on longevity and efficiency across the board. Solar being a big part in that but also a big price jump which has me worried.

If the first lick of this summer is a preview we are all in trouble I’m afaraid. With the example I gave on a 5m 5000g tank that is extreme. I would expect to sell more in the 1000L - 3000L size range that don’t get me wrong still use a considerable amount of water. I could justify buying water for changes and top ups on that size tank. I’m praying I don’t have to account for drought in my business model but that may be a bridge I have to cross.

I would love to have some examples ready to display but at the moment but it’s all just on paper unfortunately. Please feel free to drill me with questions I love it.

Yes definitely not your average order a big tub and still have 30 different components to purchase. I’m going to be offering all bases covered packages to whatever degree required. You want a full 3m reef display tank with cabinetry and all the bells and whistles no problem or a Trout tank with river current and refrigeration style chiller. I will have a set catalogue to browse soon but anything is possible in regards to made to order tanks.

Reactions: Ogertron3000

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Freight cost and being able to get bigger tanks into hard to access places are your biggest issues. Road pilots can be expensive. Many swim pool companies are installing viewing panels these days which are easy to customise.

I suggest you look at bolt together fiberglass panels to solve some of these issues which might also enable an overseas customer base.

Reactions: jjohnwm

Ponddaddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2019
I’m hoping anyone purchasing such a tank would take into account actually getting in in position. As well as any moving fees after that. It’s expensive to move anything of size and that would be accounted for in negotiations.

You cheeky bugger..... I have designs for a 2000L bolt together “flat pack” style tank. The only hurdle I have found in development is warranty’s. I can’t warrant somthing assembled by a third party without legal contracts with installers. Pain I know but I will endeavour to find a solution because they will sell like hotcakes especially in different sizes and layouts. IKEA fish tanks haha.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Thankyou. I have tried to be as diligent as possible in planning ahead and having all the bases covered. Knowledge is power my friend.
I have tried to focus on longevity and efficiency across the board. Solar being a big part in that but also a big price jump which has me worried.

If the first lick of this summer is a preview we are all in trouble I’m afaraid. With the example I gave on a 5m 5000g tank that is extreme. I would expect to sell more in the 1000L - 3000L size range that don’t get me wrong still use a considerable amount of water. I could justify buying water for changes and top ups on that size tank. I’m praying I don’t have to account for drought in my business model but that may be a bridge I have to cross.

I would love to have some examples ready to display but at the moment but it’s all just on paper unfortunately. Please feel free to drill me with questions I love it.

Yes definitely not your average order a big tub and still have 30 different components to purchase. I’m going to be offering all bases covered packages to whatever degree required. You want a full 3m reef display tank with cabinetry and all the bells and whistles no problem or a Trout tank with river current and refrigeration style chiller. I will have a set catalogue to browse soon but anything is possible in regards to made to order tanks.
Man, it's 43 degrees in Melbourne at the moment. If I had a refrigerated trout tank I would be in my jocks sitting in it!

Reactions: Ponddaddy
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store