Dither fish for wide-bar datnoid

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
How large does a fish have to be to live with a wide-bar datnoid for life and not end up as lunch?

Could a datnoid eat a 7" filament barb? I know that oscars can't.

Last edited:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
K krichardson

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
How large does a fish have to be to live with a wide-bar datnoid for life and not end up as lunch?

Could a datnoid eat a 7" filament barb? I know that oscars can't. Would a wide-bar datnoid eventually be able to eat one?
Datnoids have huge mouths. I have Silver Dollar's in the aquarium with a 13 inch Datnoid.

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
Datnoids have huge mouths. I have Silver Dollar's in the aquarium with a 13 inch Datnoid.
Filament bars are not tall-bodied like silver dollars, though. They are build more like bala sharks. A 7" filament barb is probably about the size of a 7", well-fed bala shark. Would a large datnoid be able to eat that?

Reactions: tlindsey

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth

These are filament bars. Imagine them at 7". Can a large datnoid eat that or would they be safe of the datnoid is bought small and is never given feeder fish?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Filament bars are not tall-bodied like silver dollars, though. They are build more like bala sharks. A 7" filament barb is probably about the size of a 7", well-fed bala shark. Would a large datnoid be able to eat that?

Yes they are torpedo shaped and may be eaten by a very large Datnoid. I personally wouldn't risk it. I would do large Bala sharks.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

These are filament bars. Imagine them at 7". Can a large datnoid eat that or would they be safe of the datnoid is bought small and is never given feeder fish?
If Datnoids are small and aren't fed live the yes very possible for them to live together. How long I honestly don't know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store