Dither fish for wide-bar datnoid

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
But, eventually, when the datnoid grows large enough, it will start to see the filament bars as food, right? Even if the datnoids grew up on a diet of earthworms and krill, or pellets, right?

Tbh I really wouldn't know. That's why I stated for how long honesty don't know.

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
Thanks. I've only kept thin-bar dats in the past with my various stocks. I am thinking about trying a wide-bar now. My 10-12 inch thin bars were cool with adult filament barbs. No problems at all. However, I never kept a thin bar dat long enough for it to reach 16" and I know wide bars can get up to 2 feet.

I never got a thin bar to eat pellets, so I always fed them a diet of earthworms and whole frozen krill.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks. I've only kept thin-bar dats in the past with my various stocks. I am thinking about trying a wide-bar now. My 10-12 inch thin bars were cool with adult filament barbs. No problems at all. However, I never kept a thin bar dat long enough for it to reach 16" and I know wide bars can get up to 2 feet.

I never got a thin bar to eat pellets, so I always fed them a diet of earthworms and whole frozen krill.

If you don't feed live fish feeders you may be fine.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
There is no way to be certain,especially with a pulcher that is fully grown.....at that size just about any dither fish could be fair game to be eaten.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
How about freshwater drum as dithers? They are fairly slow growing, intelligent and mind their own business, they also love to eat snails

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
How about freshwater drum as dithers? They are fairly slow growing, intelligent and mind their own business, they also love to eat snails
Slow growing might not be a good thing for them in a datnoid tank.Dats grow slowly too but you don't want the dats to be able to overtake the drum before they get to a respectable size.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
....gotta get what is available .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store