Dithers for Flowerhorn

Ink

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2017
Hi guys.. im currently new to the forum, been a dweller for a while and have read some good stuff !

i read somewhere on the forum about dithers for flowerhorns...

and tiger barbs were mentioned... so i have fader goldenbase FHs that are bit inactive or scared.. i figured i would try get some ditchers.. i got a couple of tiger barbs they are well bigger than the gb mouths.. but.... they're dead now.. lol my GB didnt wait even a night.. all the barbs are dead lol

what other kind of dithers do you guys recommend?

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
Flower horns are not typically a "scared or inactive" subspecies. The only time a flower horn should act like that is for a short period of time after being shipped. If your fish are acting scared or inactive you need to start looking at their environment. Whats the tanks PH? What are the nitrate levels at? What kind of filtration are you running? What food are you feeding them? Whats the water temperature kept at?
The fish on the left looks stressed, clamped fins, and a underdeveloped kok are signs of stress. It could be that he can see the other male through the divider.

Reactions: Alistair

Ink

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2017
tank ph at 7.5 i do weekly 50% wc and when hes alone hes more scared.. i only just transfered the other male up.. then hes abit more active

Alistair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2010
India
Flower horns are not typically a "scared or inactive" subspecies. The only time a flower horn should act like that is for a short period of time after being shipped. If your fish are acting scared or inactive you need to start looking at their environment. Whats the tanks PH? What are the nitrate levels at? What kind of filtration are you running? What food are you feeding them? Whats the water temperature kept at?
The fish on the left looks stressed, clamped fins, and a underdeveloped kok are signs of stress. It could be that he can see the other male through the divider.
Agree. Dithers are put in to make skittish fish bolder. Nothing bolder than a healthy flowerhorn who generally will want to bust through the glass and go for anything that moves around the tank.

If you want a schooling fish to make the overall tank look better, i don't think any small fish will survive the perrenial stress and attacks that the flowerhorn would shower upon them, unless you find some super fast barbs that the flowerhorn cannot catch.

And IMO, a flowerhorn that co-exists with any dither fish has to be a sissy flowerhorn.

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Don't need dithers. Some use mirrors. Since you have 2 FHs, use a divider in which they cannot see one another. When you allow them to see the other, they'll want to attack.

Ink

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2017
yah thats what i thought, after my barbs die.. lol i pull up the male to the top with a divider

Ink

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2017
remants of the fading thats left stuck on his face lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store