DIY cement background with sand fall

Mike Thorn

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2017
Crazy cool, ruggles. One of the nicest foam-concrete backgrounds I've seen.

I'm curious, did you brush on the cement, slather it by hand, trowel it...?

ruggles531

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2010
Canada
Thanks buddy. I had some thick rubber gloves left over from when I grouted my kitchen backsplash and used those. The first layer of cement was quite thick and I kind of threw it on in globs. haha

Subsequent layers were much runnier but I still found it easiest to put it on by hand.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Does the water fall, also serve as a bio filter.
Thanks guys.

The sandfall is decorative only. It is not used to filter anything.
Yes, I know this is an old thread, but I want to add that even if R ruggles531 is not relying on the sandfall as a biofilter, it still is a perfectly legitimate moving bed filter :)

ruggles531

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2010
Canada
Do you know if any of the materials you used changed the chemistry of the water, like the hardness?
It didn't change the levels in my tank, but I did fill and drain the tank several times over the course of a month before introducing any fish to it. I wanted to make sure all the chemicals leached out of the cement. The tank has been running for close to a year now and has been quite stable.

Reactions: J. H.

Karlotious

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2015
Did you completely paint the styrofoam or is the backing still exposed? Im curious about long term exposure of styrofoam to a saltwater environment.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Did you completely paint the styrofoam or is the backing still exposed? Im curious about long term exposure of styrofoam to a saltwater environment.
It is a freshwater tank, so I doubt you will get a good answer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store