DIY cement background with sand fall

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
could i get a link to all the cements that i could use if i was to do this?
i want to build a corner sandfall and i got the PVC pipe... Now i need to hide it lol so it is not ugly.

ruggles531

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2010
Canada
could i get a link to all the cements that i could use if i was to do this?
i want to build a corner sandfall and i got the PVC pipe... Now i need to hide it lol so it is not ugly.
I used Quikrete Hydraulic Water-Stop Cement that I purchased at Home Depot. I live in Canada so if they carry it up here I would imagine they carry it in the US. I also used some of their tint products to try and mix the colours up a bit. There were a lot of water changes to try and leach any bad stuff out and so far it has worked well.

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
thank you...
Could i know how much and where you got the styrofoam from?
thanks again :)

ruggles531

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2010
Canada
thank you...
Could i know how much and where you got the styrofoam from?
thanks again :)
I previously bought the 20lb tub of cement at Home Depot to build a background for my 120 gallon cichlid tank. I had enough left over to do the 55 gallon. I think it's only $15 to buy. I bought the foam at Home Depot too. It came in sheets that were 3 X 6 foot sheets, something like that. They have them in different thickness levels. I think I got the 1" thick sheet. I built a foam cutter from a spare DC adapter and a fishing leader (found some howto's on YouTube). It made shaping the foam much easier and didn't create a mess like cutting it with a knife does.

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store