DIY lid ideas for odd tank shapes

BenPen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2018
MA, USA
I quickly went from having a reasonable load in a 55g and having a month or so to upgrade to "good lord I need to upgrade yesterday" when my friends decided to surprise me with some fish a few days after seeing my tank and showing photos of my intended stock. Apparently, "hey, look at the cool fish I plan to get" translates to "run out and buy them without asking." Suffice to say, they aren't in the hobby They meant well, I'm just glad the LFS didn't have the chocolate cichlid and bichir in stock too.

So next paycheck I will be getting one of these bad boys: https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/...ks/3x2x8-round-end-300-gallon-poly-stock-tank
Question is, how do I keep the fish from jumping out as well as something to rest the lights on. Something tells me Aqueon doesn't make a versa-top for this! Needs to be sturdy enough to keep the fish in, but not so heavy that it could potentially damage the tub, or the fish should they get spooked and jump into it. I was thinking maybe some mesh or netting held taught and weighted down by some big rocks or something(on the floor not the tub), but that sounds like I'm asking for my lights to end up in the tank and not sure it would be the safest thing for the fish to fly into. Plus, it wouldn't be the prettiest thing in the world, although let's be real, neither is the big blue tub.
Any ideas?

BenPen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2018
MA, USA
I use corrugated clear plastic tops. If its a heavy fish I'll make latches so if it hits the top it stays in
I'll look into that, thanks. Any thoughts on if it cuts down on how much light makes it through compared to glass?

kostiuk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2017
Loveland, Co
I've got it on a couple of tanks and another one coming up soon. Works well but I haven't had to deal with jumpers, yet.
Kevin K.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I'll look into that, thanks. Any thoughts on if it cuts down on how much light makes it through compared to glass?
I can't get scientific with it, but I will say it's super bright. Plants grow great aquatic or otherwise. I use it for all my tanks now. It's used for greenhouses mainly.

The corrugated clear plastic they sell for greenhouses is supposed to let in more light than glass, and be a better insulator. (Good for your heating costs.)

Reactions: Fishor and BenPen
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store