DIY Overflow Ver 9999

CanadianCichlid

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
You should have the hole drilled, it will help with the flow. It acts like the vent stack in your house plumbing.

18fisher, what level is your inside 2" pipe at? does it control the tank water level?

18fisher;4903174; said:
need help i made these overflows and dont work great they work then pause and fill tank up then all of a sudden they kick in and drain real fast but the soon or later lose prime is it because i dont have hole drilled in outside 2" pipe also my tee is about a foot lower than the inside of tank i will try to get some pics up but new to site thks 18 fisher

18fisher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2011
rahway nj
i drilled a small hole yesterday in one of the overflows and seemed help a little should i make the hole bigger ,also it does control the water level when running right,but the water level goes up and down .i did find one problem the first one inch elbow comeing out of tank is sucking in air which would help after awhile to lose its prime also makes aloud noise which i hope to fix today also i have my pump way turnend down and i know it can handle way more then it is,just so you know i have to 55 gal tanks plumbed to one sump,the pumpp can handle ruf 1200 gph and each overflow can handle 600 gph ruf right thks for the help im shuer im gonna have more ?

CanadianCichlid

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
18fisher, if you are running dual overflows you will need to drill holes in both to let the air in so it will flow smoothly. Its like taking a full pop bottle and turning it up side down. It will not flow smoothly but if you put a hole in the bottom it will flow out fast.

Niktam

Feeder Fish
Mar 5, 2011
Milton
Im not so good with pictures hoping u can help me figure out if I am doing this right, thanks!

So I started to peice it all together, and got one done, and before I get to the point were I am required to have to go get more replacement parts I figured I would fact check with some pictures.

so here we go.

First is the overall thing, minus the plumbing to go to the actual filter itself, I realize I need to trim the crossbar pipe, and make the intake 1" pipe much longer. Really no question regarding this one seeing as I know whats wrong with this picture. I also need to add the hole for the tubing in the T that i am going to run to my venuri port on my powerhead.

This is the Exhaust( sure we will call it that!) pipe, notice the hole drilled, I am actually going to make that whole a little bigger so that I can put my plastic tubing in to hook up to my venturi port of my powerheads, Again no questions here.

This is the top of the Intake pipe, And I THINK i did it right, I also included the bottom of the pipe with the cap to illustrate where I am confused that I did it right, if anyone has any insight, or corrections please let me know. Thank you.

arctic navigator

Feeder Fish
Mar 21, 2011
Calgary, AB, Canada
Niktam, with your T fitting that low every time the top of your overflow runs dry or your pump shuts down you're going to loose suction in your u-tube... you need to cut the 2" pipe (the one with the T fitting in it) about 2" from the top, put your T fitting there, then reattach the length of pipe below... The idea is that regardless you want both ends of the 1" u-tube to stay submerged at all times...

nooshbag

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2011
orange
just bought the pieces to build two of these for my 120 gallon remodel project. thanks for the idea. it looks much cleaner

Oscars

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Colorado
I have a question, will the flow rate be reduced dramatically if I replace the 2 inch T pipe (the one that goes to the sump) to a 2 inch to 1 inch pipe?

Dane

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2010
Ohio
Oscars;5001269; said:
I have a question, will the flow rate be reduced dramatically if I replace the 2 inch T pipe (the one that goes to the sump) to a 2 inch to 1 inch pipe?
First off I want to apologize to those of you with questions for me on this design that I haven't gotten back to. And thank those of you who have answered such questions. I had to break my tanks down and it has been almost a year since I've had any tanks up and running.

Oscars - The flow rate will be reduced somewhat by doing that. What I did was to put a two inch pipe off of the T approximately a foot or so long then reduce it to a 1 inch. This allowed for some added pressure into the one inch pipe and didn't reduce the flow nearly as much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store