DIY PVC & Plastic screen tank lid

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
On another thread our respected fish keeping colleague thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter advised against using aluminum in/around tanks due to studies that showed the potential for aluminum to leak aluminum oxide and maybe other heavy metals into the tank, even if there are only occasional splashes etc. and not contact all the time.

Unfortunately my 2 X 325 Asian Arowana tanks both have DIY aluminum framed lids me and a couple of staff made:

325g GH Lid.jpg

So I've decided to make some new lids just to be on the safe side, which will be similar but made with 1" PVC filled with small pebbles (and then they will be tied and strapped to the tanks). Pretty sure they won't look as nice, but that's not really a big deal, of course health/safety of fish trumps aesthetics.

I made the outer frame of 1 today, next just need to put in the rocks, and make & connect the 2 inner, plastic screened lid pieces on either side (made with smaller rectangles of PVC), which will lift up for feeding and cleaning.

New PVC Lid 325 GHXB.jpg

I have a question though: just to improve the looks a bit I'm thinking to put a light coat of black spray paint on all the PVC -- is there any danger of leaking toxins from using say regular, household acrylic lacquer spray paint on the PVC, or is there some special kind of paint that is safer? Or likewise would it be best just not paint them?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Krylon fusion, used on in tank decorations
Krylon Fusion is the only tank safe product that I am aware of. I have used it in my tanks for several years.

Thx for input guys -- just did a quick google search and it doesn't appear as through Krylon Fusion itself is easily available here in Thailand -- found one pond co. shop online that imports it from US (for a whopping $46 a can). So is Krylon Fusion special or would any spray paint made for plastic be similarly ok? If so I can look for some alternative local brand, if not forget it, I'll leave 'em blue.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yeah, I was afraid of that. That's what you get for living in paradise. lol Personally I would leave them blue. Krylon Fusion has a safe track record, I personally would not trust other brands.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Yeah, I was afraid of that. That's what you get for living in paradise. lol Personally I would leave them blue. Krylon Fusion has a safe track record, I personally would not trust other brands.
Again appreciate the info Neil -- and for sure, when it comes to proper supplies and accessories this definitely isn't paradise, but I guess you can't have it all.

I could get white pvc but I think that'll won't look as good over time, so will just leave them blue, no biggie.

Reactions: tlindsey

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Just back from local HomePro, as expected when I asked the staff if they had Krylon Fusion they looked at me like I'm from the planet Krypton lol. Anyway had to pick up some more pvc so it wasn't a totally wasted space trip.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
On white PVC you can colour tint with tie-dye stain. The stuff used for T shirts. You need very hot water to soak and see several baths. As the PVC pipe is long, I use a wider diameter PVC pipe with end cap as the bathing container.

Black comes out slightly patchy so may not work as well as paint but doesn't scratch off like paint would.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store