DIY Radiant heater for my 1500 gallon tank

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
tcarswell;4191099; said:
Thanks for the writeup VL. What did the costs end up running for usage if you don't mind my asking ?
I am only able to estimate the electricity used. IT's about 6 KWH per month. Or about 60 cents a month.

Gas useage from the heater is going to be impossible to determine though.

tscharf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2009
Bowie MD
only 60cents a month to heat that tank?

leather

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2010
Pennsylvania
VLDesign;4199099; said:
What the hell are you talking about?

Of course it's rated for freshwater what other kind of water would be going through it?

Yes it's the water heater from my house.

It is a closed loop.

Yes, the check valve is in there.
Okay, I'm glad there is a check valve, I also double checked and see that model circulator has it built in. That model number is for a cast iron bodied circulator, and from the picture it is a flanged cast iron circ. For freshwater you need a bronze or stainless steel circulator. The cast iron will corroded, and the internal parts of the motor (which is lubricated by the water) will corrode. The other kind of water that would be going through it and what it was designed to handle is a "closed loop". That isn't a closed loop if it is hooked to the hot water in your house. An example of a closed system would be a hot water heating system. The water goes in and is recirculated. The oxygen (which cause corrosion) reacts and causes slight oxidation and isn't replaced in the system.

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
How is this not a closed loop?

Water comes out the top of the hot water heater, and back into the bottom of it without ever being exposed to air. That is a closed loop.

Cast iron is used in "fresh water" recirculation systems every day. I would only need stainless if I were to use it on Salt water which will cause issues.

If you don't mind me asking how old are you and what do you do for a living?

Plum

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Canada
Well - I thought this was amazing. I have wanted to do this, but have not arrived at that point in my set up.

Unsure your cost's of electricity, but up here in Eastern Ontario, it is about $0.08/kwh. Gas is significantly cheaper at the moment, (even though I don't have access to this since I am rural) and even before the price fell through the floor. Leveraging a Naturual Gas heater as opposed to an electric is an automatic win IMO.

Also, you are leveraging the heated water that is just sitting in the tank, waiting to be used... again - perfect.

Great idea - thank you for the parts list, you will make my life simpler when I run to Home Depot next month.

Unsure really how else one could lower costs further than this.... not including Solar, which I view the ROI as being to little. A basic solar set up in the summer months might work, but in Ontario - summer only lasts about 2 months.

Anyways -enough with my rambling - great idea - congrats - thank you for documenting.

leather

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2010
Pennsylvania
VLDesign;4200482; said:
How is this not a closed loop?

Water comes out the top of the hot water heater, and back into the bottom of it without ever being exposed to air. That is a closed loop.

Cast iron is used in "fresh water" recirculation systems every day. I would only need stainless if I were to use it on Salt water which will cause issues.

If you don't mind me asking how old are you and what do you do for a living?
Its not a closed loop because its always fed water from an outside source.
I'm 28 years old and own a residential heating oil, heating, and air conditioning business.

Plum

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Canada
The water is just being circulated through the sump and back to the hot water tank. The loop never opens - it is closed.

leather

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2010
Pennsylvania
Plum;4200700; said:
The water is just being circulated through the sump and back to the hot water tank. The loop never opens - it is closed.
I understand what it is doing, and its a fine way to do this. I have a similar design working for a pond. Mine is off of a hot water boiler. I have also done this with a temporary set up to heat pools up for parties and picnics. The difference is that the water isn't always the same water, it flushes through the water heater and is replaced by more freshwater. That is what makes it an open system. It is not an atmospheric loop, because its under pressure, buts its not closed because it doesn't use the same water all the time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store