DIY styrofoam background + rocks

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC
Update!

You can see how the background and rocks have matured. I think the light coating of algae/diatoms adds realism.

I unfortunately lost a bunch of the fish due a heat wave last summer when I was out of town. So I ended up scrapping the tanganyikan theme and now have a random mishmash of interesting fish. There's a lot of personality in this tank and it's pretty fun to watch. The Aplocheilus Lineatus (golden wonder killies) in particular are some seriously under-appreciated mini-monsters.

[video=youtube_share;jUWfVrquzQA]http://youtu.be/jUWfVrquzQA[/video]

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
Hi! I've just dropped by to see your work, it's amazing really!
BTW may I borrow some of your ideas for my future work(s)? Haha (s) really included, I may set up a 3d backgrounds that's quite the same with what you've done, not specifically the design but the idea. Thanks! Oh yeah, could you post a pic/vid for some updates regarding the setup? Wanna see more out of it. :woot:
Kudos! :thumbsup:

P.S. It's one of the most awesome build I saw

Chasmodes

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Maryland
Any updates on this tank? How is the 3D background holding up? I'm a newb here, but have studied many threads on this forum, great stuff. This particular build is awesome IMHO.

Thanks!

marinerules

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
paragould arkansas
Can you epoxy over it if you wanted to ?

I'm i retested in makin some large DIY foam rocks but don't want to glue them. I'm wondering how big of a weight I would have to have to keep them at the bottom and not float

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Can you epoxy over it if you wanted to ?

I'm i retested in makin some large DIY foam rocks but don't want to glue them. I'm wondering how big of a weight I would have to have to keep them at the bottom and not float
Why don't you use Polygem?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store