DIY - wood framed pond - am I nuts ?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Looking really good!
It sure is. That will be a nice room to sit in with the big door open on a beautiful summer evening.

"It's priceless" - not just a thoughtful comment but also what you tell your significant other when they ask about how much it cost! :)
That one is good while it lasts; it hasn't worked on my wife in years...

Reactions: Sleepdoc

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Looking good! Any pics of the fastener hardware your using? Are you treating those 4x4’s with anything? They look fancier than the pressure treated out here.

I’m thinking about concrete for my pond as I’m gonna put a deck with hot tub on top of it....

Still a year or so away... just paid for my tank... hobby costs money ?

Sleepdoc

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2020
Thanks everybody for the comments. I have been using galvanized hardware, heavy corner angles, carriage bolts , and lag bolts. I have also been using sealant with tint on every timber on all four sides.
The main structure is now complete and it is 39 1/2 inches tall. It has definitely been a lot of work but now that the job is mostly completed it sure feels satisfying. I feel like the structure is very strong, possibly over built, but I wanted to make sure it was strong enough.

Next step is to put in the liner, plumbing , etc.
CBBDA19D-F9F3-4A10-AE66-A01CA416CC40.jpeg

Sleepdoc

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2020
Still a lot of work to be done, but at least the main structure and liner is completed. I still have to do all the piping for the in pond pump, main filter, and 2 16" waterfalls. Also have to seal and place the edge cap which will give the pond the finished look. So there definitely is a lot left to do.

I'm back to work tomorrow, so progress will slow down for now. Thats probably OK though as the filter media in the larger waterfall filter and skimmer needs to culture and mature. To speed that process, I cleaned my 2 Fx'6's (from my Cichlid tank and my grow out tank) pouring all the dirty wash water into the skimmer. I caught a "tester" Red Devil out of my other pond and put him in the new pond - like a canary in a coal mine. My guess is 2-6 weeks before I start adding any of my "good" fish.

For pumps and filtration I am using:

Oase 3600 - pump - main pump
Oase Filtoclear 8000 - Canister sponge and UV filter
2 Oase 16 filtered waterfalls - filled with lava rock

Savio Compact Skimmer - filled with bio balls from the Oase filtered waterfalls
Alpine Cyclone Pump - placed inside the Skimmer
Savio Filterfalls F100 waterfall filter - Springflow media and about 10L K1 in a bag.

I will also likely run another Alpine 3100 at the bottom of the pond to push water around.

Added up its about 6000 gph of water moving through filters and waterfalls, with another 3000 gph of water to go to the 2nd waterfall or maybe just to move water around if I feel like it needs it.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Wow..."overbuilt" is an understatement.

Overbuilt is good! :)

I'm assuming from the palm trees in the background that you are in an area that allows for this to be a year-round pond, rather than bringing the fish in each winter?

Reactions: Sleepdoc
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store