Do clown Loaches clean other cichlids?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I personally have not my CL’s are savages like a pack of wolves!
I doubt another fish would sit still with these guy ripping at their gills.

Wildcat157

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2019
NY
Ok. Thanks.
Appreciate your experience with Loaches. I have been watching one of mine cleaning the gill's of a juvenile buttikoferi cichlid.
It reminds me of when I had some marine wrasses and they would do the same.
All my fish look and act healthy, but the Loach only does this with the one fish and the buttikoferi seems to tolerate it.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Ok. Thanks.
Appreciate your experience with Loaches. I have been watching one of mine cleaning the gill's of a juvenile buttikoferi cichlid.
It reminds me of when I had some marine wrasses and they would do the same.
All my fish look and act healthy, but the Loach only does this with the one fish and the buttikoferi seems to tolerate it.
I’ve had the same experience with saltwater with wrasses and shrimp.
I had a couple cleaner shrimp that would clean my hand anytime I was in the tank for maintenance.
I’m sure that it happens, I could see loaches picking parasites or dead tissue for an easy meal.
I just haven’t witnessed it with mine.
I’d say if the other fish sit still for it then it’s probably not bothering them to much.
Interesting observation.

Wildcat157

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2019
NY
I wasn't sure if this was common or rare behavior? From what I researched I couldn't find any information.
I will try to take a short video clip of it and see if I can figure out how to post it.
Thanks for response.

Reactions: tlindsey

Wildcat157

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2019
NY
I can't post a video. I have some pictures I will try to post. The loach seems to be picking at the gill's and around the mouth. It's difficult to get a good picture.
If anyone else has ever seen this behavior I would love to hear from you.
Thanks everyone.

Loach 2.png

Loach 1.png

loach ,4.png

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
How many clown loach do you have?
This behaviour to me is a loach thinking he has found a friend and confused that he thinks the cichlid is a loach.
This I have seen before in solitary loaches or loaches with other similar patterned fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store